NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 04 Vert for the wife for dirt cheap because it overheated and toasted the motor, pistons bad, head bad. I found a 03 AWP 1.8 out of a turbo S (I have a AWV) but everthing I read said basically other than the ECU it is the same motor. The motor only has about 24K miles on it. Since it is out anyway should I be doing the timing belt, and pump? What other things are suggested since it will be out anyway?

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would definitely do the timing belt, etc. Its a 9 year old motor. It needs it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a 24K mile AWP motor out of a 2003 "S" on craigslist for $1500 for the longblock. Picked it up on thursday, and ordered new waterpump with a nice brass impeller, and new timing belt parts. I put everything at TDC and maked the old belt and pulleys, then transfered those marks to the new timing belt just in case. after installing all the parts, then struggling to install the belt, finally took the tensioner back off, put the belt on, then intalled the tensioner, pulled the pin on the tensioner and hand cranked it a few times and all is good. I had to swap over the knock sensors, and crank position sensor, when I pulled the crank position sensor, some of the housing inside looked like it had been worn away or melted or both, exposing the insides, so odered a new one.

When I bought the car the head had already been taken off, unfortunately all the intake bolts are lost, so I need to get some M6x25 and nuts, and a few other various clips, nuts/bolts to replace, and one of the tubo bolt to intake manifold was broken, so had to get that removed and get a new bolt.

So now its down to how best to pull the motor, Take the front of the car, or drop down thru the bottom with a 2 post lift. I didn't see any way to get the the flex plate bolts to unbolt the engine from the tranny to try to pull it out from the top.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Most people pull the front fenders and bumper. They come off as an assembly. then remove the radiator frame and take it out through the front. the factory puts them and the front suspension in at one time,but its in a purpose built tool

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok she's alive again! Had to order some banjo bolts and various other clips and bolts since the shop I bought the car from that took the head off lost all those parts. Also replaced a bent rack and pinion arm on the drives side and 2 new axles. Took a while to figure out where all the lines went since I didn't take it apart. I have a vagcom, so I cleared all the codes and took her for a spin and all is well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Now appears my brand new thermostat may be sticking closed? Upper radiator hose is warmer than the lower, after about 10 min of idling (was trying to burp the cooling system) the overflow...well, overflows, then after shutdown when everything cools off, the overflow is almost empty. The blue temp light goes out like normal, and i get no other temp lights. Could it be the radiator? I have filled and drained it a few times to fush out whatever coolant, or coolant mix the PO did and then filled with G12.

any tips on what else to check out is appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts