NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2k NB which has suffered from the dreaded armrest decay due to the glue coming loose. I paid some guy last year to take them off and replace the fabric and it was a disaster. He replaced it with puckered crappy silver vinyl and left sharp staples poking out of the panel, real mess.

I'd kind of like to replace the cards either with good used ones or possibly new if I can find them cheap enough. The problem of course is that they're paint matched to the car which would result in even more expense.

Could someone who has seen the inside of these things tell me whether it would easily be possible for me to swap my painted parts onto another door panel? The blowup diagrams of the door panels appear to show the painted trim as a separate part, but I have to wonder whether it is permanently bonded to the rest of the panel.

Thanks for the info!!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The color keyed (upper) part of the door trim is a separate part; however the upper and lower parts of the door panel are plastic welded together.

Meaning ... The lower part has plastic tabs that stick through holes in the upper part and then using a "heating tool" you melt the plastic tabs to form a weld.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The color keyed (upper) part of the door trim is a separate part; however the upper and lower parts of the door panel are plastic welded together.

Meaning ... The lower part has plastic tabs that stick through holes in the upper part and then using a "heating tool" you melt the plastic tabs to form a weld.

Ah, this explains why they stapled the two parts together again. They must have had to break them apart to get the thing retrimmed. So I guess I'd have to take them off to see how badly they've boogered up the holes on the top part to know whether a brand new bottom part could fit in and be melted together? Actually now that I think about it, do the new OEM door cards come with an unpainted top piece already attached to it? That would kind of ruin the whole plan because it would have to be painted.

These stupid things have to be one of the worst examples of planned obsolescence. It really wouldn't have been that hard for them to make it possible for this thing to come apart so that the panel can be trimmed.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
To my knowledge the upper door part is color keyed and no need to paint it afterwards; unless you want to.

All of the parts to the door panel are plastic welded together, except for the door pocket netting; that can be replaced.

I have been postulating on a thin chrome or metallic strip for the welded sections, where you could put jewelers screws and nuts through it to replace the welds; however with the amount of force that could be used to close the door, I am not certain it would hold up very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement Armrest

I also have armrest deterioration on my beetle. I am molding replacement armrests and will soon be offering them for sale if I think there is a demand for them. I have tried several auto upholstery shops in my area and no one would touch them. Is this a common problem with all years of the new Beetle or only here in florida where I think its the heat that destroys the glue? Is a replacement part available aftermarket or from the dealer? Thanks if you are interested in a set pls feel free to email me. They will be available in a few different colors.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
I also have armrest deterioration on my beetle. I am molding replacement armrests and will soon be offering them for sale if I think there is a demand for them. I have tried several auto upholstery shops in my area and no one would touch them. Is this a common problem with all years of the new Beetle or only here in florida where I think its the heat that destroys the glue? Is a replacement part available aftermarket or from the dealer? Thanks if you are interested in a set pls feel free to email me. They will be available in a few different colors.
:confused:
Which new beetle do you have??
Which colors are you making?
What city & state are you in?

Be sure to post your pix so we can see.

:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have spent months working on mine, replacements are a great idea if you are able to make the for the back seats as well so that it would all match.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
beetle door cards

I'm waiting for someone to start "3D printing" the door cards in various colors. No need for vinyl covering but probably could do so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts