NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, When I bought my beetle, the handbrake button was broken off so you had to jam your finger down a short hole to disengage it.

I bought this replacement hoping to install it.

After much frustration in removing the original, eventually resorting to sawing it off, I finally got it off.

However I was unable to get the new Handle to slide down far enough to get the button to engage.

The e-brake button is recessed into the metal handle itself. Is this intentional, or is this perhaps why the new handle won't work?

Or is it the wrong handle?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, I can't seem to find any video or guide anywhere on how to properly replace the handle.

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
I was recently, dealing with a similar issue; based upon your photo, it looks like the plastic portion of the hand brake is broken off (like many VW plastics; these seem to easily break, as they age and become brittle). Mine, ended up being broken as well; in my case, I still had the broken button part left, inside my handle cover and was able to temporarily put it inside the NEW handle, so it works and I am able to use the emergency brake, it is functional. However, looking at your yours; the plastic portion seems to be missing; from what I can tell, you need to replace the whole metal lever assembly, which includes a black plastic part, that actuates the locking portion of the emergency brake. Like many VW parts; the inner plastic linkage/button, doesn't seem to be replaceable by itself but fixing the problem, requires, purchasing a whole new brake handle.

cp028970-parking-ebrake-e-brake-handle-98-05-vw-new-beetle-jetta-golf-gti-mk4-1j0-711-303-2.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts