VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 Beetle threw its harmonic balancer down route 17 this week. Two bolts are broken in the crankshaft gear. Shall I try to extract or replace the gear?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
extracting them if you can is going to be best, It takes a big tool bolted to the crank pulley to keep the crank from turning when you break the crank bolt loose.
The tool uses the 4 harmaonic balancer holes to secure itself to the crank pulley. The crank bolt is torqued to alot( I can't remember what it is but it's a bunch.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
extracting them if you can is going to be best, It takes a big tool bolted to the crank pulley to keep the crank from turning when you break the crank bolt loose.
The tool uses the 4 harmaonic balancer holes to secure itself to the crank pulley. The crank bolt is torqued to alot( I can't remember what it is but it's a bunch.
I have removed them to do crank seals with an impact gun. You need a 12 point socket and a 1/2" impact gun.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.... who bolted the crank gear pulley on last?[/QUOTE]

Bought the car from VW Service by Ron in Daytona Beach, Florida. They have a sticker on the door stating the timing belt and water pump were replaced just prior to sale (July, 2012). So, they were the last ones in there.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Gkad you got the pieces out.

You might try a dealer for the harmonic balancer bolts My dealer intown had them instock at one dollar apiece.

Sort of pricey but I did not have to wait on shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts