NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 new beetle turbo s and can't seem to find a manual or info on how to remove & install the ignition coils:confused:. I have everything removed and can't figure out how to get them out. I don't want to screw anything up by prying or something stupid like that, so I am hoping to find some info here. I would appreciate all the help I can get, I am beyond frustrated at this point.:mad:

·
2,646 Posts
Remove (loosen them from the brackets so you can just move them to the side)the black plastic vacuum thingamabobbies that cover 2 of the coils, unplug the harness from the coils and gently using both hands pull straight up on the coil--that's all there is to it. In the meantime there was a VW "recall" that includes new upgraded coils--see if yours has been done. I was having a little trouble w/ my GTI, new coils fixed it.

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
There is a special tool for removing them but I have gotten them out without it; they can be kinda "sticky" if they have been in there awhile... a careful pressure from a screwdriver should be fine and will pop up relatively easily. If you want the "official" tools check it out here:
vw coil pack removal tool - Google Search

X2 on the recall; couldn't believe the difference it made on mine! :)

·
2,646 Posts
Be careful if you decide to get a tool--the one for the VR6 and maybe for the 2.0T are different, but IMHO completely unnecessary on the 1.8T:)

·
Registered
13,848 Posts

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I have a 2003 new beetle turbo s and can't seem to find a manual or info on how to remove & install the ignition coils:confused:. I have everything removed and can't figure out how to get them out. I don't want to screw anything up by prying or something stupid like that, so I am hoping to find some info here. I would appreciate all the help I can get, I am beyond frustrated at this point.:mad:
My 2003.5 TS was cover under the factory recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info now maybe I can get that finished today. All of the coil's were replaced oh about 6 months ago. I had timing belt and what ever else it needed done. My husband was driving it and turning the corner and was lugging it, this is the second time this has happened when he was driving it. Is it a possablility that the lugging would cause that to happen? Just seems like maybe it was since that is what happened the first time also.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Cause what to happen? Maybe I missed it, but I'm not sure if you said what was going on with the car. With the coils replaced 6 months ago, not sure that's your problem. But also not sure whats going on with the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To cause the coil to go out. It was running fine and then when my husband didn't down shift to second (he was going about 20mph)he went to 3rd of course it started to lug and then he went to second and it started missing. This is the second time it happend, just wondered if it was a coincidence or caused it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light? How are your spark plugs? Are you sure its the coil packs? How long was it missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes I am sure it is the coil. The spark plugs are fine and it started missing when he put it in 2nd gear we drove about 2 mile to our house, that happend on Sunday and I haven't driven it this week except to pull it up to the shop to check it out to make sure it was the coil and which one it was. All I really want to know is could lugging it like he did cause that to happen? If so I am not letting him drive my car anymore!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opps forgot to say that yes the check engine light came on at the same time the missing started.

·
Registered
13,848 Posts
"lugging" the car shouldn't matter; if the coil packs are the problem, the coil packs are failing.... so, I don't see how its anyone's fault! :) Failing coil packs are a common problem and that is why they have had multiple recalls on them. Hopefully, you can get the beetle fixed and back on the road. Let us know how you make out. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts