NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio headunit is on its last legs, and the stealership wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a new one, so I decided to buy used. I was sure the unlock code was on a tear-away card in the owner's manual. (Mine's missing since I bought used, so I can't check.) Unfortunately I seem to be mistaken. This is what the hopeful seller said:
I found my Owners Manual, and my card is still attached, BUT, there is not serial number or code number present on the card. The card says that an authorized VW dealer can help retreive the code for free, but, with the luck some folks have had with VW service, I would not take that as a guarrantee.

I did find this funny little thin plastic fob that has a scratch off box with 4 number under that, then under the scratch off box is a 9 digit code, and under that, a 8 digit number. Any clue on if that may be the codes?

Does anyone know if one of those numbers is the code? Hint anyone?:eek: :confused:

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The code is definitely supposed to be on the tear-off card.
But here's how it (typically) works...
- radio manufacturer produces radio, and boxes it up along with a sticker that contains the serial number and security code for that headunit
- factory worker at VW opens box for radio, installs headunit, and is supposed to afix the sticker to the tear off "radio card" in the owner's manual
- dealer receives information packet for each car they bring on the lot
- if the factory didn't afix the sticker to the tear off card, the sticker is supposed to be inside the packet that was delivered with the car
- dealer peels the sticker off the sheet and afixes it to the tear off card if needed (either on delivery or at time of sale)

so there's a little human intervention that has to happen for the code to actually end up on the tear off "radio card". Some, obviously, get missed.

Regardless of whether the tear off card for your used radio has the sticker, you should definitely receive delivery of the card... so you can prove that you never got the code. If you need to get the code from a dealer, many of them are charging you money for the process. If you have a radio card, without a code, I'd imagine they'd have a hard time charging you to pull it... since it's something that you were supposed to receive with the car/radio and obviously didn't.

At any rate, the radio code is a usually 4 digit number. Though I have no idea whether it's the 4 digit number on the strange little fob your seller found. Could be... but I'm unfamiliar with any VW fob with a scratch off box. Could be something completely different. Can't hurt to try the code though. It's not going to destroy the headunit if it's incorrect, or anything.

If that's not it, have the seller look for a sticker in their NB that's typically under the carpet in the trunk, in or around the spare tire well. If it's there, it should also have the radio code on it. Though, that sticker is probably from the same sheet that the one for the tear off card came from... and if the factory/dealer didn't think to afix the one for the tear off card, they might have bypassed the one for the trunk as well.

If that sticker is missing, and the 4-digit code on the fob doesn't work, I think your only other option is to go to the dealer. If you can get the VIN of the seller's car, your dealer can pull the code for the radio without having to deinstall the headunit. If you can't get the VIN (and I'm not sure if I'd give it to you, if I was the seller), then the dealer can still get the code, they'd just have to deinstall the headunit - or hook up the VAG-COM diagnostics - to get the actual serial number of the radio... both of which have the potential of costing you more money, if your dealer is in a charging mood.

Good luck. I hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Steinola said:
The code is definitely supposed to be on the tear-off card.
But here's how it (typically) works...
- radio manufacturer produces radio, and boxes it up along with a sticker that contains the serial number and security code for that headunit
- factory worker at VW opens box for radio, installs headunit, and is supposed to afix the sticker to the tear off "radio card" in the owner's manual
- dealer receives information packet for each car they bring on the lot
- if the factory didn't afix the sticker to the tear off card, the sticker is supposed to be inside the packet that was delivered with the car
- dealer peels the sticker off the sheet and afixes it to the tear off card if needed (either on delivery or at time of sale)

so there's a little human intervention that has to happen for the code to actually end up on the tear off "radio card". Some, obviously, get missed.

Regardless of whether the tear off card for your used radio has the sticker, you should definitely receive delivery of the card... so you can prove that you never got the code. If you need to get the code from a dealer, many of them are charging you money for the process. If you have a radio card, without a code, I'd imagine they'd have a hard time charging you to pull it... since it's something that you were supposed to receive with the car/radio and obviously didn't.

At any rate, the radio code is a usually 4 digit number. Though I have no idea whether it's the 4 digit number on the strange little fob your seller found. Could be... but I'm unfamiliar with any VW fob with a scratch off box. Could be something completely different. Can't hurt to try the code though. It's not going to destroy the headunit if it's incorrect, or anything.

If that's not it, have the seller look for a sticker in their NB that's typically under the carpet in the trunk, in or around the spare tire well. If it's there, it should also have the radio code on it. Though, that sticker is probably from the same sheet that the one for the tear off card came from... and if the factory/dealer didn't think to afix the one for the tear off card, they might have bypassed the one for the trunk as well.

If that sticker is missing, and the 4-digit code on the fob doesn't work, I think your only other option is to go to the dealer. If you can get the VIN of the seller's car, your dealer can pull the code for the radio without having to deinstall the headunit. If you can't get the VIN (and I'm not sure if I'd give it to you, if I was the seller), then the dealer can still get the code, they'd just have to deinstall the headunit - or hook up the VAG-COM diagnostics - to get the actual serial number of the radio... both of which have the potential of costing you more money, if your dealer is in a charging mood.

Good luck. I hope it helps.
Stenolia --
Do you know if a VAGCOM can get the code? My 02 does not ahve the radio pin code in the trunk (I've looked), and the dealer never gave it to me (not that I plan to remove it).

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts