NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This falls under the "You have to be smarter than the car" category of stories.

I had noticed my driver side headlamp had failed with the low beam/daytime running light the evening before last. I didn't get to the auto store before today since I received my paycheque late yesterday and the bank was already closed.

Today, I slept in, having forgotten about needing to replace the low beam bulb until it was rather late and I was in the middle of getting ready for work. I raced out to discover my Beetle was stuck in the snow courtesy of the city snowplows so it took me a while to get out.

I raced to the bank, then to the auto store for a pair of replacement bulbs (I figured I might as well replace the pair instead of waiting for the other to fail) then on to work.

I was muttering darkly about my seriously bad timing and decided I needed to get the bulb replaced today since I didn't want to run the risk of being pulled over by an officer for having a cyclopean Beetle.

Of course, my boss, bless her, waited till 5.30pm to leave for the day, which left me only a half an hour of fading daylight to work in.

Thanks to some hasty research here, I found the proper method with photos posted for doing what looked at first like an impossible task.

After mucking about for 45 minutes in the cold (it was about 9F or -12C) in the twilight, I got the rather sticky head lamp assemblies replaced, only to be confronted by a driver side low beam that still didn't fire up. Arrrrrrgh!

I checked the fuses, double checked everything and then came back and researched some more.

It is here I should note, I thought the bulbs I took out looked rather pristine--they weren't carbonized or blackened as I would have expected. I didn't think much about it as I removed them from the assemblies and threw them away.

I found my answer after a little more digging, and I quickly sprouted some colorful epithets when I realized what I'd done.

I'd changed the wrong bulbs! I had thrown away perfectly good high beam bulbs and replaced them when I needed to do that with the low beams. Another cold struggle later, I had everything replaced and working fine. It was just an exercise in frustration on my part as I got a bit careless due to being cold and wanting to hurry things up.

My coworkers were immensely amused as I am as big a pansy as gay men come, but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and work on things myself. But, this just goes to show, most of us should take more time when we work on things. How lucky for me that I had this forum to refer back to. :D

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Don't feel bad. The first time I replaced one of mine, I did the same exact thing. Right down to getting the headlight back in and "snugged" down before I decided to check it. Makes
you feel really stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My beetle has a black eye right now after a similar incident. Expect, when I went to replace the low beam with another bulb... I managed to rip half the headlamp assembly out, and had to pry the other half out. I still don't know why it was stuck in the fender, the tracks were not that dirty and it dind't give me trouble going in the last time (perhaps that's the tell-tale sign).

Kudos for getting the job done!! :)

·
Oh noooooooo!
1,052 Posts
Man, and I thought I was having a bad day. I know how frustrating changing a bulb is. After replacing mine last year and trying unsuccessfully to push the headlamp back I ended up going to the auto parts store to have them push my headlamp back in. Once it was in I discoved the bulb I had put in was defective and ended up going to the dealership where I paid $35 for them to do it.:mad:

·
Heinz
68 Posts
Ditto

I did the same thing, I have never replaced the passenger side, but have been through about 3 driver side bulbs.

There is a noticable difference in the brightness of the bulbs. The driver side is 1/3 brighter.

Allen

·
Your mileage may vary
7,566 Posts
Yeah well, I need new headlamp assemblies, which I'm told will cost a pretty penny.

So, at least for a while, I got lights, but can't see much of anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts