VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

My beetle has been running a little off lately (it's actually hard to detect, but it just doesn't feel right)

I had the codes pulled at an Autozone and got the following:

P0171
P0134
P1582

Which I understand indicate a bad pre-Cat O2 sensor, bad MAF, and the 171 too lean could be caused by one of the others?

My particular question is this: If I can manage to R&R these myself will I need to do anything that requires a VAGCOM, and will I need to do something special to reset the CEL?

(I'm pretty sure I can do the MAF, the O2 I might not be able to get to, I don't have ramps or the required wrench)

My beetle's got a bunch of little issues (projects) to be done, but these need to be right before I take it out of town in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Dennis

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16555/P0171/000369 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0134 Volkswagen HO2S11 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

17990/P1582/005506 - Ross-Tech Wiki

You could reset the ecu; by doing a "hard reset", removing the battery cables and touching the neg/pos cables, together for 30 seconds.

You would need to get under the car; to access the 02 sensors and rent or purchase, a special 02 sensor socket to r/r the sensor. Most auto parts stores and places like harbor freight; sell the correct socket to remove the 02 sensors.

I would check the 02 sensor and maf live data, with a scan tool; to see if they are working correctly. A fuel pressure test; would also be a good idea, just to rule that out as a possible issue (bad fuel pump).

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
O2

Hi.

My beetle has been running a little off lately (it's actually hard to detect, but it just doesn't feel right)

I had the codes pulled at an Autozone and got the following:

P0171
P0134
P1582

Which I understand indicate a bad pre-Cat O2 sensor, bad MAF, and the 171 too lean could be caused by one of the others?

My particular question is this: If I can manage to R&R these myself will I need to do anything that requires a VAGCOM, and will I need to do something special to reset the CEL?

(I'm pretty sure I can do the MAF, the O2 I might not be able to get to, I don't have ramps or the required wrench)

My beetle's got a bunch of little issues (projects) to be done, but these need to be right before I take it out of town in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Dennis
You can also rent the special wrench for the O2 sensors at your local parts store it comes in a kit with several sizes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts