NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could provide some help or suggestions for removing the spark plugs on my 2000 Beetle 2.0 engine. I can not get the #2 and #3 plugs out with the intake plenum in the way. I tried a boot puller but could not get the boots off. Do I need to take the upper manifold off? If I need need to remove the upper manifold how is it bolted, and what do I need to remove to get it out? Thank you in advance for any help.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
its kind of odd that you couldn't get the boots off with a boot puller.

you do not need to take the intake off to get the plugs out. you just need to grab the wires by the metal boot and pull up, then use a good long extension (or a few short ones) and take the inner plugs out like normal. they are angled in the head so that it will clear the sides of the intake.

I bought new wires when i did my plugs for the first time, so i didn't care if i ruined my old wires, so i just yanked them out, and the magnacor's i replaced them with came on and off alot easier.

·
Zwergldad
12 Posts
Don't waste your money

Don't waste your money buying tools you don't need. If you're going to replace the plugs, best to replace the wires too. Use a pair of needle nose pliers and they will come right off. I just did mine over the weekend and it was a snap. I would say it took me about 1 hour and that included going back and forth looking for tools. I would recommend a long socket extension for #2 and #3 since they are way down deep and hard to get to. They guy at the parts store told me not to over torque the plugs. Good rule of them tighten until sung then 1/8 to 1/4 turn no more.

Have fun!!!

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
plugs.

hello all....a newb here with a newb question. where are the plugs and wires? any pics? looking for one of those engine bay pics pointing out what is what...TIA :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
If you take off the engine cover, there are 4 spaces in a row under the intake manifold.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
hello all....a newb here with a newb question. where are the plugs and wires? any pics? looking for one of those engine bay pics pointing out what is what...TIA :)
I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you don't know what spark plugs and wires look like, I wouldn't do anything under the hood if I were you. You might end up doing something wrong and it might cost you more than having someone else do the work for you.

The VW 8v motor is one of the easiest motors to work/learn on, but if you need help with really basic mechanical stuff, i wouldn't touch it without a more mechanical-friendly friend over to guide you.

I know it's a bad angle, but the red wires going under the intake manifold are the spark plug wires (stock ones are black), and the ignition coil is under the air pump.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts