NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace starter on 98 NB 2.0L. Normally I think of straters as pretty simple swaps. I jacked up car, disconnected battery, battery cable starter. solenoid clip. Removed on obvious nut, felt around the opposite side and removed another using an extension. Would have thought the starter would pull right out. It won't budge, even after tapping. I can't "find" another bolt that I might have missed. I've seen ref to removing battery box for access. How do I remove the battery tray?

Thanks!

[email protected]

·
2.go
16 Posts
no need to take off battery for starter. it should be in the bottom right corner if you are facing the front of the car.to get to the starter, i found it easier to take the front lip off.replaced mine in october of last year, and it went out again yesterday,or so we think. however-battery casing has two screws at the bottom, and it usually can just rip right out.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
i just did mine...there are 2 bolts....i took my battery and battery tray out to get to the top one....bottem one was easy

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
i just did mine...there are 2 bolts....i took my battery and battery tray out to get to the top one....bottem one was easy
Thanks buddy! I've got Cup on stands, ready to replace Her starter. Bottom nut- piece of cake... top nut, not so much. Your info is the help I needed- thanks:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts