NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a horn issue. I traced it around and decided it was in the steering column. I decided to take it to the dealership to get a free quote. At first he said it was the clock spring, then he came back and said it was actually some sort of tab broken off and the wiring harness from the horn that is part of the steering wheel was broken. He said the clock spring was actually good. They said to replaces the steering wheel for about $800. Then he whispered in my ear to do it myself with a used wheel.

So if I buy a used wheel that may have been in a wreck, can I just replace my air bag onto the wheel and swap them out? Do you see any issues that may come up? It looks like a straight forward job... disconnect negative terminal, turn wheel one way, push out pin, turn other way, push out pin, lift off air bag, unbolt wheel, remount wheel to proper torque, replace bag, replace pins, reconnect negative terminal.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
They're trying to rip you off so yeah don't even consider that. A T55 Torx bit works fine if you don't have a triple square bit, that's all I've ever used. The only thing I can think of in the steering wheel that could break is the ground tab on the inside of the wheel. You should be able to get this soldered, or just replace the terminal on the harness with a small ring terminal, drill a hole in the metal bracket and screw it down with a short self tapping screw and a small washer. You could fix it for under $5 and it would be pretty funny to go back to the dealer and tell them how cheaply you fixed an $800 problem. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts