VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have put two sets of stock speakers in the Wife's NB (Dear) and the speakers keep blowing; so for reasons not yet known, the stock radio is blowing speakers.

The replacement radio is going to be a Kenwood (KDC-HD548U); which is what is in my Son's NB (HiLiter). I am still researching speakers and I am leaning toward Hertz, but the budget may limit me to Alpine.

For those who might be interested in what a Stock Non-Monsoon System cost, here are the Dealer numbers ...

Rear Speaker (1J0-035-411-G) ....... $111.00 Each
Front Speaker (1J0-035-411-AE) ..... $121.00 Each
Pillar Tweeter (1J0-035-411-C) ..... $25.65 Each
Radio (NPNRADIOHEADUNIT) ........... $605.00 Each
Sub-Total (Includes TN Tax) ........ $1,223.93 :eek:
Installation Labor ................. $ ???.??

So the after market system will be half the price and a better performer.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How are the speakers getting damaged?? Voice coils opening up?

If the VC are opening up, then likely amp is putting DC to the speakers.

Do you have a Monsoon system or regular system>

You can pick up a nice OEM head unit for usually under $200.

Some of the head units get moisture damage from condensation from the center vents.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not a Monsoon system. After a few months the speakers just start crackling and at some point that is all they will do.

·
squirreljuice
391 Posts
It is most likely the amp. Check out what amazon has for Rockford Fosgate speakers. I purchased mine for $60 a pair and I would never buy anything less that what these speakers can do. I put those in my car and its been clear as a bell for 4 months now. I also re-ran all new wire for the speakers and used my own amp. If you are a bass junkie, put a subwoofer in the car. The free air design of the speaker mounting locations makes for sucky bass.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, it has been a long time, but I believe that I have come across a method that will let me connect my iPhone and iPod to the stock radio and it is cheaper than buying an aftermarket head unit.

I tried FM Transmitters; they work but ...

1) if you live in or near a metro area, an unused FM frequency is hard to come by
2) the volume level is too low; if the windows are down you cannot hear it
3) sound quality is not the best, unless you spend top dollar; Mpow Streambot Y Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter is the one I used and the volume was acceptable with the windows rolled up.

... but what I really wanted was a direct connection and I believe that Pac-Audio has my solution and depending on your location, after shipping and taxes it is about a third to half the cost of a replacement head unit.

We traded in the wife's NB, so this is going into my '98 NB; stay tuned for the results. And I still need to get new speakers; more on that later.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well the PAC-Audio solution works great! :guitar: And Pac-Audio strongly recommends that you read all of their installation instructions first.

Also fixed the broken vents in the center console.

I was not able to fix the no heat issue; I thought the cable came disconnected again, not so. It appears that I will have to take the duct assembly out to fix it. Oh well! :banghead:

So here are my installation pics and this not meant to be a DIY ...

Project Cost: $73.10, includes shipping and taxes; from Amazon. A far cry cheaper than a New Head Unit.

Technical Notes: Easy installation and NO K-Line Modifications to run VCDS or OBD Scans.

There were several Trunk CD Changer Models used between '98 and '05, mine is a Panasonic Model CX-DP601EUC. The Black Connector is the Radio wire harness, Power, Ground, Diagnostic stuff, etc... The Brown Connector is the Speaker wire harness. The Red Connector is a Dealer (aftermarket) installed Trunk CD Changer wire harness. The Blue Connector is the Factory Installed Trunk CD Changer wire harness.

Here is an excerpt from the Bentley Manual regarding Radio/CD Types ...

"Premium V and Premium 5.5 (Convertible)Radio system "Premium V" is installed from start of production through early MY 2004. Radio system "Premium 5.5" is installed as a running change during early MY 2004 production. The radio system consists of an integrated receiver/CD Player/tape head unit and speakers located in the instrument panel, doors and rear side panels. "Premium V" systems are distinguished by an integrated tape player in the head unit and "Premium 5.5" systems by an integrated single CD player. A CD changer is available as optional equipment. Location: in center console under armrest or in luggage compartment (depending on production date). Receiver/tape unit is capable of playing MP 3 files using optional cassette adapter (MY 2004) or data plug (MY 2005). From MY 2005 some "Premium 5.5" radio systems are able to receive an auxiliary input, this connection is mounted in the right side of the trim under steering column."

Pics 01 and 02 - is the Pac-Audio product that I purchased.
Pics 03 and 04 - is the Aftermarket Trunk CD Changer Wire harness/connector.
Pic 05 - is the Factory Trunk CD Changer Wire harness/connector.
Pic 06 - is the "Simple" wire harness, with the two Ground Wires soldered to a fuse-able link. Just plug the blue connector in to where the CD Changer connector would normally go and connect the ground wires to a grounding point. I wanted a quick release for the ground point and I had this fuse-able link in my spare parts drawer, so I used it as it had 3 amp fuse already in it.

Attachments

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pics 07 and 08 - successful :banana: testing before putting it all back together.
Pics 10 and 11 - is the location where I choose to put it and I secured it with Duct Tape. Also the existing truck CD Changer wire harness is behind it. I secured the grounding wire to the center dash support bracket.
Pics 15 and 16 - is the finished project! :guitar:

I purposely made the iPhone/iPod wire short, so I would not be tempted to answer any calls; as the wire gets in the way of shifting. And this is not a hands free phone device. It is only for playing audio from your "i-Device"; however if you have music assigned to your ring tones, it will play the ring tone thru the car speakers, so you will know who is calling and can call them back when you are not otherwise occupied.

iPhone Technical Note: If you are using an Otter Box, the connector is to big and the O-box has to be trimmed a wee-bit; I used a Dremel. Also if you have an iPhone 5 or newer you will need an Apple Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter.

So my drive starts with, connecting my iPhone, start the car, and CD 01 Track 01 appears in the display and on the iPhone/iPod, I tap the Music Icon, select a Play List and tap play, that is it! :cool:

Attachments

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I begun my Speaker Research and I am using the same back story in each e-mail, which is ...

I need to replace the stock speakers in my 1998 VW New Beetle and was wondering if any of your products are up to the job; I am an audiophile but not an extremist. I prefer sound quality, I like the windows down and the music playing to the curves and pitch of the road; speeds < 55. What Speakers would you recommend?

I have sent e-mails to ... (Manufacture Recommendation)

Alpine (SPR-60C)
Blaupunkt (IC122, EMx663, THc662, 663 Mystic Series)
Boston Acoustics (No Car Audio)
Focal ( )
JL Audio (C2 Series 650c and 650x)
Kenwood (Call Crutchfield :( )
Kicker (KSC65)
MBQuart ( )
Polk Audio (db651, DXi651)
Rockford Fosgate ( )

... to name a few.

Received a reply from Boston Acoustics ... "Unfortunately, Boston Acoustics has not been in the car audio business for a couple years, therefore, any stock we have left will be listed on our website."

Received two replies from Kennwood; both stated that ... "The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk." :confused:

Received a reply from Alpine ... "This vehicle has factory components so I recommend the SPR-60C. They can handle up to 100W RMS of power, so if you want to amplify them you can, and the frequency response range is 65Hz - 29kHz. That vehicle has a factory amplifier that has built in crossovers so you can connect the speaker directly to the OEM wiring."

Received a reply from my favorite Home/Car Audio Store (they did the install in the wife's NB ) ... They recommended JL Audio with an Alpine Head Unit. They are not in favor of the stock head unit, oh well.

JLC2650C JL AUDIO C2 Series 6.5" Components $ 249.95
JLC2650X JL C2 Series Coax 6.5" Speakers $ 169.95
AABHA1784 AAMP VW LEAD to Harness $ 11.99
AABAA22 AAMP VW/BMW Antenna Adapter $ 15.00

ALCDESXM145B Alpine CD/USB with Sirius XM Tuner $ 199.00

Labor Install head Unit and 2 Pair of Speakers $ 130.00

Total (Turnkey) $645.89 plus tax
Total (No Head Unit and I do the Install) $316.89 plus tax

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had some time this morning, so I called Kenwood and let's just say that I was dismayed; the representative stated that they do not have any car related information and cannot recommend any speakers for my car. The representative's suggestion was to go to Crutchfield dot com and they could help me out.

Other than perusing their website, I have no experience with Crutchfield; except they did say that the iPhone/iPod upgrade that I am now using :guitar: would not work in my car ... :confused: Look for the red arrow in the pic.

When I am researching a product I prefer to talk to the source (the Manufacture), because it is their product. It has always been my experience that talking to the sales end is ineffective; because in the back of their minds it is about selling product. Regardless, I have sent them an e-mail and I await their response.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Crutchfield is a top notch company, they know their stuff and they do their homework. In the early days Crutchfied used to test fit most of the equipment into vehicles. Trust Crutchfiled for direct swap stuff, they do not recommend things that require modifications.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is your end result with the speaker upgrade? Are you wanting to replace the factory component set with a new component set or are you wanting to just put a coaxial in the door and unhook the factory tweeter. A lot of things play into this.

I was an installer/salesman/ general manager of a local 12Volt mobile electronics (car audio) store for six years. I could point you in a direction based on my own experience and personal love of great sounding audio. But need to know your end goal and price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh and in regards to speaking to the manufacturer their number one goal is to sell to you. If your local car audio store doesn't have the heart of a teacher to come along side you and help you reach YOUR goals within YOUR budget they are not worth wasting your time and money on. Like I said I'd be happy to help guide you once I have an idea of why you are replacing your speakers, how good of a sound you want, and price range.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Crutchfield is a top notch company, they know their stuff and they do their homework. In the early days Crutchfied used to test fit most of the equipment into vehicles. Trust Crutchfiled for direct swap stuff, they do not recommend things that require modifications.
That is what I have heard; however my first Experience has not started off so well. They have replied back and considering the various speaker brands they sell, they have recommended Polk Audio DB651S's and the front speaker brackets are free, if I order in the next few days.

Polk Audio themselves also replied back ...

"The front and rear speakers are a 6.5 inch speaker and the mounting depth is 3 inches. For the replacement, look at the db651, or the DXi651. These speakers work very well with the factory head unit."

What is your end result with the speaker upgrade? Are you wanting to replace the factory component set with a new component set or are you wanting to just put a coaxial in the door and unhook the factory tweeter. A lot of things play into this.

I was an installer/salesman/ general manager of a local 12Volt mobile electronics (car audio) store for six years. I could point you in a direction based on my own experience and personal love of great sounding audio. But need to know your end goal and price range.

Oh and in regards to speaking to the manufacturer their number one goal is to sell to you. If your local car audio store doesn't have the heart of a teacher to come along side you and help you reach YOUR goals within YOUR budget they are not worth wasting your time and money on. Like I said I'd be happy to help guide you once I have an idea of why you are replacing your speakers, how good of a sound you want, and price range.
Thanks for the assistance Tucker; I can say that my experience with any speaker manufacture has been the opposite of your commentary. With exception to Kenwood.

I have experience with almost all of the audio manufactures noted in this thread; my Car Audio is typically Alpine, Blaupunkt, Boston Acoustics and/or Kenwood and Home Audio is Bose, Denon, Kenwood and Polk Audio.

My budget is the quote from my favorite audio store and seeing how the remainder of my head unit budget has been added to my speaker budget, it is decent.

I prefer sound quality above all else; the sensitivity has to be 90db or higher, between 50 to 100 RMS and a wide frequency response, 35Hz to 30KHz. Also, I am using the existing speaker wire harness.

Received a reply from Kicker ...

"I would recommend the KSC65 this speaker is going to be our best of the coaxial speakers we offer. This will sound good off of just deck power but will really amaze you if you amplify them. They have a silk dome soft tweeter so the highs aren’t super tinny or extremely bright. If you need anything else just feel free to let me know."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I'm not going to argue brands. Sounds like you have a much more developed idea of what you want than most people I use to deal with. I would simply recommend looking into focal car audio.
http://www.focal.com/usa/en/43-car-audio-systems

I use their speakers myself and have always been very impressed. We sold many of the brands you've mentioned and of them all focal has sounded the best to me. Just my opinion. I personally always amplify my system to give more headroom and avoid clipping and distortion. It makes for a much better sound experience. You can always run an amp off the factory stereo. But we are talking speakers here not amps.

My comment in regard to manufactures was not meant to be snide maybe they just treat actual people better than they ever did their dealers lol

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I'm not going to argue brands. Sounds like you have a much more developed idea of what you want than most people I use to deal with. I would simply recommend looking into focal car audio.
Car audio systems - Focal

I use their speakers myself and have always been very impressed. We sold many of the brands you've mentioned and of them all focal has sounded the best to me. Just my opinion. I personally always amplify my system to give more headroom and avoid clipping and distortion. It makes for a much better sound experience. You can always run an amp off the factory stereo. But we are talking speakers here not amps.

My comment in regard to manufactures was not meant to be snide maybe they just treat actual people better than they ever did their dealers lol

No snide tone was perceived; :) plain text just cannot convey the proper tone and I like a good debate about car audio. If you really think about, each piece in the audio system must complement each other. Just getting what is touted as, "the best, of the best", does not mean they work well together or sound like you expect them to.

A replacement Head Unit and Amplifier are still on my list; the head unit will be first and then the amp, unless I can get a matched pair deal. Due to budgets being what they are, these are a bit down on the to-do list.

I have sent an e-mail to Focal and await their response. I am not familiar with "Focal", so I need to read up on them.

I am celebrating my "Name-Day" next month and want to have made a speaker decision by then.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I asked Crutchfield for an overall comparison between their recommendation and my other recommendations and here is their response ...

"No problem at all. I looked over what Troy set up for you and what you indicated about what you are looking for. I'd have to agree with Troy. Those Polks are great speakers and they will give you the sound you want in my opinion. They sound great and have a really smooth and natural sound to them."

I also asked the same of the other audio vendors that I have been conversing with, including my favorite and there was one consistency; the Alpine and JL Audio were swapping between choices "A" and "B".

With all of the speaker brands that Crutchfield sells, I am still a little confused :confused: that only one Speaker Brand was mentioned.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well even though it is probably futile; I decided to send VWoA a request to ask them nicely, if they can provide me the technical specifications of the head unit and speakers. And here is their response ...

Dear D2Beetle,

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us regarding what speakers your new Beetle came with from the factory, and I congratulate you on your purchase!

As Volkswagen of America is only able to access information for VW vehicles produced for the U.S. market, I regret that we are unable to determine what speakers your model came with, as it was designed for sale in the Canadian market. To get the most accurate information, I recommend contacting Volkswagen of Canada at vw.ca. I’m sorry that I don’t have the resources to provide the answer you’re seeking, as I completely understand the importance of having a quality audio system to jam your tunes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and I wish you many happy miles behind the wheel of your Beetle.

Sincerely, Justin
Customer CARE Advocate

And so it begins ... :eek:hnoes:

Cannot wait to see what VWoCa has to say.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have received a response from VWoCa and was wondering ... should I be worried? :eek:hnoes: "I have a file!" :scared:

RE: 1998 New Beetle speakers

Dear D2Beetle,

We have received your email. Thank you for taking the time to write. We are reviewing your inquiry regarding the speakers in your 1998 New Beetle and will have a response for you shortly. We appreciate your patience while we review your file. Please know our Customer Care Center is at your disposal if you wish to speak with us. We are open Monday through Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm, eastern standard time, and our number is (800) 822-8987.

Sincerely, Charlene
Customer Relations

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Here is VWoCan response, which was not helpful ...

Dear D2Beetle,

This email is in follow up to my previous correspondence. I truly apologize for the delay in getting back to you with a response. Volkswagen Canada recommends that you consult with an authorized Volkswagen dealership to replace the speakers in your vehicle. The part numbers for the speakers in your vehicle are different and we would not be able to provide you with exact information. The part numbers below would all apply to speakers that are applicable to your vehicle.

1C0-035-411C
1C0-035-411D
1C0-035-411E
1C0-035-411F

I hope the information provided has been helpful and should you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact us through our Customer Care Center at (800) 822-8987. We are open Monday through Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm, Eastern Standard Time. Please be advised that you may receive a short survey by e-mail regarding your experience with our Customer Care Center. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important and will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,
Charlene Husbands
Customer Relations

I have not received any more responses from any other speaker manufactures, so I have narrowed it down to these two ...

Alpine (SPR-60C)
JL Audio (C2 Series 650c and 650x)

... I took a trip to Cartronics and listened to each speaker in their audio booth, both sounded well; my test songs were ... Roadside - Rise Against; Riders of the Storm - The Doors; Take it to the Limit - The Eagles; Someone Like You - Adele; I Love Rock-N-Roll - Joan Jett; True Companion - Donald Fagen; In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins; and lastly, We Will Rock You - Queen. These songs were played from the sales person phone, which was not an iPhone, nor were the songs in a Lossless format; I always use Lossless format, except for songs purchased from the iTunes store. Given the setup in the sound booth, there was no comparison to any car. Also, the sales person kept turning up the volume, which I then turned down; I prefer the subtleties instead of brute loudness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.