NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have to replace the ECU according to my mechanic. Stupid check engine light won't go off giving me the P0411 code for Sec Air Injection incorrect flow detected, but he said he checked the flow and everything is running fine so wanted to replace the ECU...

He said it would cost nearly $1000 to do this, so my question is... i've found an ECU with the exact same part numbers/serials etc. as my current one for $100, if i pull out mine and replace it with this one will i need some kind of gadget to reprogram it or anything like that, or will i be able to simply plugin the new (used) ecu?

I have a 1999-2000 model bug 2.0, and i've read that the immobilizer stuff didn't come about till 2001?

Thanks a lot!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
I doubt that the ECU needs replacing. Has the code been cleared? SAI problems seem to be common in these cars, so I'd get a second opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently yes, he said it was cleared but came back up immediately, maybe i should take it somewhere else first... it just hurts because here in LA everyone will charge me $100 just to check the engine code out, let alone anything else, so it seems like i could just replace the thing myself for that hundred bucks and at least see if that was the problem - if it persists i'll know that i need to continue and get something else done.

So i'm just wondering mainly, if i replace the ECU myself, is it just a matter of swapping it out or will i need to have expensive gadgets to recode it as well?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Apparently yes, he said it was cleared but came back up immediately, maybe i should take it somewhere else first... it just hurts because here in LA everyone will charge me $100 just to check the engine code out, let alone anything else, so it seems like i could just replace the thing myself for that hundred bucks and at least see if that was the problem - if it persists i'll know that i need to continue and get something else done.

So i'm just wondering mainly, if i replace the ECU myself, is it just a matter of swapping it out or will i need to have expensive gadgets to recode it as well?
The ECU is a computer, the incorrect flow can be because of a bad connection at the sensor that monitors the SAI pump. The tech should be able to give you a detailed reason to replace the ECU if faulty. I would find the sensor and clean or at least plug the connector in a couple times and retest.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
I dont recall EVER seeing or even hearing 2nd hand etc that this code was caused by the ECU.

I would take some convincing that there isn't a leak of some kind or the pump is leaking or not running - has a new (if necessary) pump been tried??? Swap one know to be good if you don't want the new cost....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Take your car to a authorized VW dealership ,Pay the $100and face the truth. Your problem very well not be the ECU. A leak or a bad sensor maybe? Seems to me that the ECU will tell you if it is having problems. Now that I think about it, this sounds like a MAF, Throtle body, or the the secondary air flow switch valve, maybe bad CAT or exhaust flow , the problem could be at the other end. Some componets and sensors will not trip a code until they fail totaly. To me it would be worth the 100 dollars to find out for sure.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Here is some info on the code. Its not just "checking the flow". You have to check for leaks, pump functionality, etc.

16795/P0411/001041 - Ross-Tech Wiki
16795/P0411/001041 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected
Possible Symptoms

* Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

* Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
* Hoses/Pipes to/between Components faulty/clogged
* Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101) faulty
* Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299) faulty
* Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
* Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
o Check Secondary Air Injection Hoses/Pipes for Carbonization
* Check Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101)
* Check Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299)
* Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you replace the ECM (which I doubt will fix the issue), you will need to do a Throttle Body Alignment and you may also have to do an adaptation for the Immobilizer (2000 year model). You will need a dealer level diagnostic scan tool like VCDS to do this.

Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Immobilizer II ECU Swapping - Ross-Tech Wiki

Take a look at your air pump, is it the kind that is held together with 6 rivets? Could your kombi valve be clogged? Has this been an issue for an extended time and now the cylinder head is clogged?

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Check for any vacuum leaks from the SAIP pump, Kombi valve, closely inspect the SAIP plastic hoses for cracks/leaks or a bad connection, check for any exhaust leaks between the catalytic converter and engine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Second opinion!

Here is my suggestion, I'd go over to the TDIClub.com and look at the Guru list. Find your state/province and then look for the nearest Guru. Contact that guy and he may know someone that works on the Gassers. Or, you might be lucky and learn that he also knows his $hit when it comes to the 2.0 gasser.

If you were close to me, I'd let you use my VAG COM for free. Also, add a few bucks to the $100.00 you were talking about and buy yourself a ScanGauge!

If your car is starting, running, etc., but has a CEL for what you mentioned, I seriously doubt that the problem has anything to do with the ECU's condition!

I got some real good Swamp land in Florida, are you interested?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Although the ECM in these models is problematic...

I agree with the above posts - replacing a part may not be the solution until you know which part failed and why. I'm thinking the ignition switch in my daughter's beetle is faulty - but I'm not rushing off to replace it until I've pondered it and tossed it to a few other noggins. Very wise of you to post your question here .... now listen to the advice!!!

Here's my daughter's issue for you problem solvers:
I think it's the ignition switch, but not sure. Turn key to on, fine, to start - odometer and all power cuts off. Slam the driver door power comes back on - nothing else will turn power on. (lock/unlock with remote/key in door/ignition, changing gear selector out and back into park, turning steering wheel to make sure it's not locked.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same P0411 problem on my 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 for the past 6 months. I read all the online forums for suggestions. I started with replacing the parts in the following order...
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Combi Valve
-SAI check valves
-SAI relay
-SAI vacuum hoses
-Used UniSettings/Lemmiwinks to lower fuel enrichment % at Start Up/Warm Up
None of the above worked. At least now all these parts are new and I don't have to worry about them in the near future.
I gave up, took it to a mechanic, he think it is the ECU. He says it is common with this model to have a bad ECU throwing this code. He quoted $950 to replace with a new ECU.
I looked on youtube on removing the ECU for mk4 model. It is relatively easy. I pulled the ECU and grab original part #, which is 021-906-018-M.
I decided to replace it myself with a used ECU on ebay for $55. It was worth a try.
Luckily my model has the Immobilizer 2. Swapping the ECU is relatively easy. You need a copy of VCDS-Lite (registered) and 3rd party VAG-COM KKL 409.1 USB cable, both I have. Then follow the instructions Ross-Tech website for Immobilizer II ECU Swapping.
Immobilizer II ECU Swapping - Ross-Tech Wiki
Good luck. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a local craigslist guy who I thought was the poster of this thread but anyway he had his car all over the place then VW called in a tech who told him it needs a new computer. 1000 was his quote and he is selling the car because he doesn't want to sink any more coin.
So fellow orgers this has me curious. car is a 2002 2.0 auto. Could you go to a junkyard and find a beetle with the same specs, get the PCM and cluster - prob the lock cyl/key and repair the car? I'm just curious

this is the craigs Ad and he said he would take 800 for the car ( I just bought a Vapor Bug for my wife and I'm not interested in his but my tech brain is playing with this scenario )

2002 vw beetle

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
Well, if you had VCDS; you could transfer the coding with a used ecu and swap it out. The problem is; you need the secret key code SKC/PIN number; this requires Vag Tacho or other program to pull this info. Check out this video; from Ross Tech for more info. The other option; would be to have the original ecu repaired and then you wouldn't have to mess with the VCDS coding/programming involved. A 2002; would have the immobilizer II system: probably easiest to have the ecu repaired. A new replacement ecu; would still require coding and access, to the original ecu PIN #. You might contact ian @ reflect tuning; for solutions to this issue and possible repair/coding swap or immobilizer delete options.

Reflect Tuning :: Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_51qeEyec

The brute force method; is actually swapping the physical onboard chip, that holds the immobilizer pin information (immo eeprom). This would require some soldering skills and there is the potential to damage things but if you are adventurous and have the right equipment/parts, it is a option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElFoFmeztfI

If you are not secure in your own skills; contact reflect tuning and I am sure, they have a solution for you.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
The P0411 code indicates that there is an issue with the SAIP system, not much to that system, vacuum/air leak, non-functioning SAIP unit, defective SAIP plug/harness, bad Kombi valve.

Even if the ECU is responsible (which I doubt as well) you would not likely have to purchase a new one for $1000, for upgrade purposes I have purchased two rare identical AWP ECU's from trusted auto salvage yards for about $200 each, these particular ECU's would have cost me $1350 each had I bought them new from the VW Dealer.

When purchasing an ECU for replacement, just make sure that the part number matches your old one.

Suggestion: If you seek help with your vehicle problems, stay away from regular mechanics regarding these cars, my many years of experience working with cars in the "VAG" has shown me that most mechanics that are not use to working on these cars tend to create more issues than they solve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
P0411

Had a p0411 come up on my 2001 beetle. found secondary hoses split and taped together, replaced those, flushed out the combi valve in sonic cleaner, cleaned the throttle body and calibrated. just recently went to pull-your-part and got a throttle body from a Jetta that was compatable. Cleaned and installed and now just waiting to see if the problem comes back!
I was also having weird dash sensor problems and swapped out the engine fuse box. I put protective grease on all the wire and terminal connectors in the fuse box to keep a good connection. Will repost with any updates.
The codes I was getting were p0411-1542-1545-1559 and 1171.

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts