NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do this recently? And what was the total cost? My regular mechanic will be doing this not dealer. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - it was the whole axle and boots . Total with labor cost me about $260 (at my preferred local mechanic)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like to rebuild and reboot my oem axles myself. The China pop axles most garages/mechanics install are priced pretty well, but usually don’t last very long. Did he install an oem axle?

Here is what an outer joint looks like, GKN is the original axle supplier to vw.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Thats good, he used genuine vw axles (made by GKN); they should last a long time and are worth the extra cost, since you are paying for the labor. Typically the boots split, before failure; if you catch them early enough, they can be saved with new boots, grease. On my 2002 turbo s; the boots split under the factory vw warranty and they refused to replace the axle or show me the cv joint, to check for a normal wear but just reboot/regrease. Later, after the warranty went iut; the boot split again; i rebooted/regreased and then, it started clicking, makes me wonder if the cv was damaged and they just ignored it, pushed me out the door. The original boot were rubber and then, so were the replacements the vw dealer put on, which split again. When i put new boots on, i got a GKN kit and they had changed to a plastic material/design, which i think, would last way longer then rubber.

Having gone through the reboot/regrease process; i think it retrospect, it maybe more cost effective to replace the cv joint at the same time. Unfortunately, GKN seems to sell the outer cv joints but not the inner tripod style ones.

When my axle started clicking; i thought i would rebuild it but couldn't find both new cv joints from GKN. Checking at the vw dealer, the cost of he individual joints; are more, the a whole rebuilt axle and so, i just bought a remanufactured oem axle from GKN and called it a day. Sometimes you can fix things for a savings over replacement of a while part but sometimes not.

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
I actually contacted GKN in Germany and they sell the outer cv's but not the inner. But... they sell them through the VW dealer parts network; go figure? In my case, the turbos; has the 02M six speed, which has unique axles, compared to the 02J versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts