VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the pieces gathered to replace the old head .
One thing that is not been clear is, do I use any sealant on the new head bolts when I install them?
If so what?
Its a 2004 2.0 BEV gas.
And are the timing marks aligned or not? if not then where and how do you align thme after installation? Crank first or cam first?
Ron

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The timing marks for the crank and camshaft should always be aligned at TDC before you take it apart and put it back together.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'm not trying to sound like an a&&. Pick up a Chiltons or Haynes manual that covers your engine. Follow the instructions TO THE LETTER regarding this procedure and you should be fine. There are no shortcuts when replacing such a major part!

In most cases (and this is where the manual will be a great help) You chase the threads for the cylinder head bolts to ensure no burrs and no rust/snot/buggers/etc... is bunging up the threads. Head bolts normally go in DRY! Nothing on them. BUT!!!! That does not apply to all engines!! For example my engine in the truck I drive: Chase out the threads, the bolts are TTY (Torque to yield)...and it's required that the very top of the bolt that contacts JUST the cylinder head seat gets a light coating of oil. That's the quirk of the engine in my truck.

But it can vary. A shop manual will provide a lot of useful information for a wide range of repairs. And it's cheap!

S-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts