VW Beetle Forum banner

Replica Votex Sideskirts

10K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that these are available now from Optikwerks. I have nothing to gain from this, just letting you guys know. I did send them my spare set of OEM Votex sideskirts to duplicate though. :D

Anyway, I just saw a set of OEM's going for over $500 so $140 seems like a bargain.

New Beetle Side Skirts

#2 ·
I tried to buy from Optiwerks a few weeks ago. I called during their office hours 3 or 4 times and couldn't get through. I left 2 different messages asking them to call me back so I could order the side skirts, but I never heard back.

As a policy, I never beg people to take my money. In the end, I'm actually quite glad they never returned my calls, as I ended up doing my own side skirt covers with black ribbed rubber.

#3 ·
SMG, what can you tell us about the product; while affordable, how is the quality? The above experiences; don't bode well for the companies reputation. Can you tell us about the company and what their customer service is like? The marketing I see from them; isn't exactly professional looking but not everyone is good at that sort of thing. I wish; they would replicate the RSi New Beetle and sell a affordable kit of that! Anyone willing; to let them copy their genuine kit? :)

#5 · (Edited)
What about the company themselves; what do you know about them and what, has your experience been like? I even think, that replica Turbo S front/rear bumpers; would be a good affordable thing for them to reproduce. I'm sure it won't be long; before those will be discontinued by VW as well.

In their videos; the material they make theirs, out of... seems to be semi flexible. What are/were the original Votex versions like; what material are they (should have plastic/material code on the product itself), rigid, flexible, semiflexible etc?

#10 ·
From my understanding; they use an adhesive out of the caulk gun style tubes. Check out this thread for more info:

VWVortex.com - Feeler Votex Beetle replica sideskirts, Possible Group Buy.

VWVortex.com - < NEW BEETLE Styling Options > NO PAYMENTS FOR 6 MONTHS! @ Optikwerks [SIDE SKIRTS $140 a set] Fast Shipping Options, Great Customer Service!

VWVortex.com - Feeler Votex Beetle replica sideskirts, Possible Group Buy.

Original adhesive was VW part #: 1K0898998 but seems NLA:

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2207795/

Others are mentioning:

3M™ Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 10.5 fluid ounce cartridge, 08693

3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape

I guess; it depends, on how easy, you want it to be to take it off again. If you want to in the future?

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, their marketing and info; leaves, something to be desired. When I have asked questions, they always say to call, they would answer any questions, that way. I haven't heard anything; negative, about any of their products on vwvortex and they make quite a few copies of Votex parts for many different Volkswagens.

#15 · (Edited)
I contacted Optiworks; this was their reply (not very specific):

"You can just use silicone it's more for keeping it from vibrating and making noise against the rocker; the flares hold it down the skirts can't go anywhere."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.