NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VoodooMaster
75 Posts
Well........humph.....what the hell. Germany must not be making "enough" profit from the platform. One has to wonder how long parts will be available for all of the NB models. The next few years should be interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well........humph.....what the hell. Germany must not be making "enough" profit from the platform. One has to wonder how long parts will be available for all of the NB models. The next few years should be interesting.
Turbo S door panels (at least for my year and color) are now NLA. As cars reach the age of 15, OEM parts fade fast and it's up to the aftermarket if it's worth it to them. Special editions get hit the earliest and the hardest.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought 2 for my old 2003 Beetle a year or so ago and it was hard finding them, not to mention costly. All the used ones I could find were also expensive and suffered from the same age related issues. Thought new was the way to go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought 2 for my old 2003 Beetle a year or so ago and it was hard finding them, not to mention costly. All the used ones I could find were also expensive and suffered from the same age related issues. Thought new was the way to go.
Costly, yes. But I now wish I had paid the $800 or so when I had the chance.

What are "door panels" anyway? Are these the metal door skins?
The panel is the part below the metal that contains the door handle that breaks too often. I may try one of the DIY fixes available but I would have to do it to the passenger door (which is not broken) so they would match.

Back on topic ... VW putting the Beetle into demise mode may have to do with sales -- or the general lack thereof -- of cars with two doors. The GTI is now a four-door. This may be an American phenomenon that VW has noticed and decided to address. Still, having an entry level two-door electric car as the Beetle seems to be a missed opportunity for the parent company.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I haven't posted on here in a long, long time because I sadly saw this coming over two years ago. While the water-cooled Beetle community is arguably the best in the realm of Volkswagen, there just weren't enough of us left after the initial fanfare of the New Beetles of 1998 wore off. As early as 2003 or so, New Beetle clubs started to dry up and events like Roswell shrunk to a fraction of what they once were. I was late to the party myself, having not gotten into a NB until 2009, but had hoped that the reskinned models of 2012 onward would have rekindled the excitement. Unfortunately, sales of the 12+ peaked in 2013 at about 43K units and have been going down ever since. Then along came "Dieselgate," which cost VW billions of dollars in fines and restitutions, etc, so slow-selling models are the first to get the axe. And yes, 2-door cars are on the way out. I bowed out of the NB world in the fall of 2015 when just 30 cars showed up at Roswell and a GTG I started in Oklahoma called Talimena Scenic Drive was received with next to no interest. Now I drive a Passat and continue to be in an all-VW club and enter as many VW shows as I can in the warm months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sad. We were hoping a new version with a manual transmission would come out. My wife really wants a stick convertible. Her 2008 is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. At some point it will need more work than its worth. She may have to settle with the auto and get one now, or look at another car make. Depends on what she values more - beetle convertible or wanting a manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is crazy!

Is this all due to the losses they are experiencing because of defrauding everyone on the pollution thing?

To be fair I had already not been seeing a lot of new beetles on the road.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
Volkswagen has a lot to prove. I'm sure they will deliver a quality product and save the brand. They have a long road ahead. Customer loyalty can be restored through new models and engine technology. I have a feeling their best is yet to come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts