NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this. For all I know, it's some kind of taboo blasphemy to muck about with the precious little flower pot, but I think that little thing is useless and I had an awesome idea to repurpose it.

I would like to fasten/glue one of these multi-jointed articulated camera mount arm thingies (or something similar) to one of these universal device-gripping mounts, but instead of the suction cup sticking to the windshield (I've never really liked how that looked), I want to use the locking connector that the flower pot uses to mount the multi-articulated arm to the dash, attached to the device-gripper to hold my phone (Samsung Note II) for use as a navigation system. (I'd want to use a more universal standard with the mount so that I can be sure that this thing will survive my having to upgrade my phone eventually.)

Also, since my phone has a front-facing camera, this setup would let me hold voice/video chat calls while on long road trips, which I think would be pretty novel.

Has anyone ever done this? Any thoughts, concerns, damnations for ruining a perfectly good hole to put a dead plant in?

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Hey Zach, I just wanted to "clarify" something myself. Unless your 1998 NB has been re-painted, it's not Tornado Red. :eek: For our 98-2005 NB's, only 2005's red was Tornado Red. Earlier ones, such as yours, was "Red", then 2002-2004, it was "Uni-Red".

Nice job on the mod writeup! :)

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh-nooooo it certainly has not been repainted. That'll save me a lot of trouble buying the wrong colour paint for touching up those scuffs and dings it came with. I guess that's LG3L then, it would seem?

Haha, and thanks! :D

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
I put a red LED under my vase and hooked it up to my driving lights on my old bug. it illuminated it quite well. i kept chop-stix in the vase to "eat rice" after i beat a honda at the street races. that was many years ago and i dont street race anymore. it would be cool to put something cooler than a flower vase there, but i have come accept the fact that it is what it is. a flower pot.

-jd

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's hilarious. I like your chopsticks idea.

I suppose alternatively, I could use the flower pot mount as another power outlet, a mount for a GPS antenna, or even just a mounting point for one of these super awesome USB-powered touch screens that I can connect to my Raspberry Pi that I'd like to fit into a housing that replaces the weird cluster of three cup holders that are under the dash.

(Seriously, I can't get anything larger than a child's sized cup to fit down there without the straw rubbing all over the underside of the dash. I've got to make better use of that space.)

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
I am a mpg guy, and also a realist, so I tell everyone to use the bud vase for something useful... to hold your Air Pressure gauge...

That way it is always right there staring you in the face, and you can use it every time you fill up, the way you are supposed to.

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I'll keep a torx security driver in it, right? ;) I never seem to have one of those when I need it, which is apparently all the time now.

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's awesome! :eek:

That's basically what I want to do, except with an arm — is that wire looming? Do you have it reinforced with something flexible, like a thick-gauged wire?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
It's a suction cup cellphone holder that has the bendable arm with the head that can be change out for different phones or gps. I broke off the suction cup and epoxied it into the bud vase.

I used clear epoxy, next time I am going to use black so I don't have to cover it with the wire cover tube. The next one I'll document the build.

I have since gotten a new digital media stereo with bluetooth and iPhone 5 so I do not need the extra cables other than a charger for my phone.

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've actually graduated this crazy idea to actual mad-scientist level, and with the local Hackerspace here in Shreveport, I'll be pulling together the parts and resources to put it together.

Obviously I'll be CAD'ing this and testing it in my lab first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts