VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this. For all I know, it's some kind of taboo blasphemy to muck about with the precious little flower pot, but I think that little thing is useless and I had an awesome idea to repurpose it.

I would like to fasten/glue one of these multi-jointed articulated camera mount arm thingies (or something similar) to one of these universal device-gripping mounts, but instead of the suction cup sticking to the windshield (I've never really liked how that looked), I want to use the locking connector that the flower pot uses to mount the multi-articulated arm to the dash, attached to the device-gripper to hold my phone (Samsung Note II) for use as a navigation system. (I'd want to use a more universal standard with the mount so that I can be sure that this thing will survive my having to upgrade my phone eventually.)

Also, since my phone has a front-facing camera, this setup would let me hold voice/video chat calls while on long road trips, which I think would be pretty novel.

Has anyone ever done this? Any thoughts, concerns, damnations for ruining a perfectly good hole to put a dead plant in?

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh-nooooo it certainly has not been repainted. That'll save me a lot of trouble buying the wrong colour paint for touching up those scuffs and dings it came with. I guess that's LG3L then, it would seem?

Haha, and thanks! :D

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's hilarious. I like your chopsticks idea.

I suppose alternatively, I could use the flower pot mount as another power outlet, a mount for a GPS antenna, or even just a mounting point for one of these super awesome USB-powered touch screens that I can connect to my Raspberry Pi that I'd like to fit into a housing that replaces the weird cluster of three cup holders that are under the dash.

(Seriously, I can't get anything larger than a child's sized cup to fit down there without the straw rubbing all over the underside of the dash. I've got to make better use of that space.)

·
Computer Guy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I'll keep a torx security driver in it, right? ;) I never seem to have one of those when I need it, which is apparently all the time now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.