VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get a beetle that a family member had left sitting for about 6 years or so. But the issue is they can't find the keys anywhere.

Its a 2000 with the 2.0 and the automatic. They parked it because the cam sensor when out and they were tired of fixing it.

Any idea what I can do about not having keys? Its going to be a pain to get on a trailer as the tires are locked at nearly full turn.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Call a mobile; auto locksmith. They should be able to fix you up or your local VW dealer with your VIN # on the high side of things! Otherwise, check out these guys online; sidewindekey.com or European Tuning by Malone and JR AutoTuning

You have a 2000; so, you have a immobilizer II. You WILL need someone; to program your new keys. The above two vendors; sell/rent vagtacho or vcds.

Check out the faq's:

VW Key FOB Programming Guide and Secrets, Troubleshooting and Repair

Sidewinderkey.com

If you are looking for the quickest and hassle free solution; probably working with a mobile auto locksmith is the way to go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, thank you! Turns out every lock smith in my area is scared to cut and program a VW key so none will do it.

So looks like I'll be contacting sidewinderkey and having them make me a key.

My $200 beetle is starting to become a pain in the butt! And I don't even know if it still runs after sitting so long.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
What makes this a pain is VW codes the car to the key. Not the key to the car as every other manufacturer. So the key controls the immobilizer not the car. And the car has a limited number of times it can be programed. There are tuners who can delete the immobilizer function in the engine control module but you will still need a key. There are ways to pull the needed information from the car with a VAG-Tacho cable. Good luck

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know! Honestly I wanted to get my own scan tool or cable so I can do the programming part myself. Would be nice to have for later anyways.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
You can rent VCDS and VagTacho from fixmyvw.com; they sell both as well. Sidewinder keys.com; also sells VagTacho for less.

I used Vag Tacho, to pull the secret key code and VCDS to program the keys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a precut key from my dealership for $50 but I ended up deciding to remove the ECU and mail it off to have the immobilizer removed from it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worded that last post weird lol What I meant to say is that I'm going to send it off. But I haven't decided on who yet...

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
There's a unit you can buy what goes in the diagnostics socket that you leave in the bypasses the imbolizer I bought one off eBay a couple of years ago for a Renault I had worked great ,not sure what they are called but could save you hundreds ,hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I'll more then likely use Reflect Tuning! Can't beat that price, its cheaper then the trailer I needed to rent to even get that bug to a Dealership lol

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Yeah, from a ease of repair and not paying, for true troubleshooting labor, and other needed parts ( reader coil, speedo cluster, etc.), it is the most cost effective option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Oberfahrerführer
4 Posts
Sidewinderkey is the best. Really cool and really helpful. Stopped by and it was one of the best times I've ever had and I learned a lot. Really nice guy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweet, thank you! Turns out every lock smith in my area is scared to cut and program a VW key so none will do it.

So looks like I'll be contacting sidewinderkey and having them make me a key.

My $200 beetle is starting to become a pain in the butt! And I don't even know if it still runs after sitting so long.
But locksmith rosewell ga has easily cut and programmed ga key easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I managed to get a beetle that a family member had left sitting for about 6 years or so. But the issue is they can't find the keys anywhere.

Its a 2000 with the 2.0 and the automatic. They parked it because the cam sensor when out and they were tired of fixing it.

Any idea what I can do about not having keys? Its going to be a pain to get on a trailer as the tires are locked at nearly full turn.
Take your registration to the vw dealership and order a new key

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
At this time: in 2021: My local VW dealerships parts dept.; is saying, on many of the older VW's, they cannot order new genuine vw keys, as they are "NLA" or no longer available. They are still available, through most locksmiths or from the two vendors, we linked to, above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At this time: in 2021: My local VW dealerships parts dept.; is saying, on many of the older VW's, they cannot order new genuine vw keys, as they are "NLA" or no longer available. They are still available, through most locksmiths or from the two vendors, we linked to, above.
I just got 2 keys made and programmed for my 2004 nb convertible gls at my local dealership.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Interesting, that is what they told me; i told them about aftermarket vendors of the key fobs. But they didn't want to know about them? The mentioned "key fobs" specifically; so, i don't know, if they meant regulator keys, like a non key fob valet key, weren't available anymore?

Are they genuine vw key fobs or did they have a locksmith do it for them?

My VW dealer is in a tiny town in New Mexico; so, it wouldn't surprise me if they are incorrect or they choose, to not deal with old Volkswagens?

I've had my vw dealership parts dept; tell me one thing and i have called two other vw dealerships one city away and they told me something else or the exact opposite, so nothing surprises me anymore.

I mentioned my car, which is a 2002; so, i don't know if that makes a difference?

When and where did you have this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting, that is what they told me; i told them about aftermarket vendors if the key fobs. Ut they didn't want to know about them? The mentioned d"key fobs" specifically; so, i don't know, if they meant non key fobs weren't available anymore?

Are they genuine vw key fobs or did they have a locksmith do it for them?

My VW dealer is in a tiny town in New Mexico; so, it wouldn't surprise me if they are incorrect or they choose, to not deal with old Volkswagens?

I've had my vw dealership parts dept; tell me one thing and i have called two other vw dealerships one city away and they told me something else or the exact oppisite, so nothing surprises me anymore.

I mentioned my car, which is a 2002; so, i don't know if that makes a difference?

When and where did you have this done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was done at my local vw dealorship. (Lowell, MA)The parts department orders the key and remote. When it arrived a few days later the service dept programmed the remote part to lock & unlock doors and unlock the trunk. You would probably be just as happy with just the key
Call a larger dealorship give the vin number to the parts department and have the key be delivered to you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts