NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about this, and I had a VW tech show me, but now I'm senile and can't remember!

There is a way to reset an automatic transmission so it doesn't remember anything but the factory settings. I think it was you turn the car off and hold in the gas for five seconds and then turn the car back on and it will reset itself.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I have a friend at work and his fiance's Jetta is being a pain in the toe and not shifting properly.

:D Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The drive train has a 100,000 mi warranty. If your friends car has less than that and is less than 10 years old, let VW deal with it. My wifes car had 97,000, wasn't shifting correctly. VW put in a new transmission.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
wawalker said:
The 100K powertrain warranty ended w/ the 2001 model.:(
Are you telling me that my '00 nb 1.8t has a 100k powertrain warranty? I bought mine used and thought all warranties came to an end at 30k. If this is true, can a copy of it and what it entails be obtained on line? I'd sure like to get buttercups tranny reset.

thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scarabY2k said:
Are you telling me that my '00 nb 1.8t has a 100k powertrain warranty? I bought mine used and thought all warranties came to an end at 30k. If this is true, can a copy of it and what it entails be obtained on line? I'd sure like to get buttercups tranny reset.

thanks
The 100k warranty is only good for the first owner of the car, the second owner gets 50k power train.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wawalker said:
Steph, I believe that you turn the key to the on position (do not start it) and hold the accelerator to the floor for at least 5 seconds, release it and then start (or is it turn off and then start as normal). Back when that was posted I experimented once on my wife's Jetta--which got me in trouble!:eek:
YES! That is what I was looking for! :D Thank you.

My friend's Jetta is a 99, but I thought I'd have him try this out before going to the dealer.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
So, what does this do? Does it make the car shift mo' better ... like if someone babied the car and so the car shifts at a low RPM and then someone else bought it and prefers to let hte car shift at a higher RPM ... would this work? Kinda 're-teaching' the car? 0_o

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
NYBugman said:
Turn the car "on"

Gas pedal to the floor for 20 seconds (I do 20, but I think it is at least 5)

Foot off gas

Start car immediately
Just a quick correction - from the Bentley

-switch on the ignition, but don't start the engine
-push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold there for at least 5 seconds (be sure the mats aren't in the way - you should feel the pedal 'click' as you go past the kickdown switch)
-release the accelerator pedal and turn OFF the ignition

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can we reset the automatic transmission via VAG-COM? is it possible?

and how can I understand that does it reset or not?

I've done what rcy wrote down ( relase the accalerator pedal and turn off the ignition and start the engine both of them)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My only question is if this would do any harm to a working although non-perfect transmission - meaning presence of slight chugging/jerking at 3000rpm from 1st to 2nd gear, just time to time and not always . I don't want to do something stupid that would lead to other problems to the currently working transmission :p. My only goal is to make it shift smoothlier (if that's a word) Please help me answer this. Thank you :)

·
#1 Auntie
4,549 Posts
rcy said:
Just a quick correction - from the Bentley

-switch on the ignition, but don't start the engine
-push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold there for at least 5 seconds (be sure the mats aren't in the way - you should feel the pedal 'click' as you go past the kickdown switch)
-release the accelerator pedal and turn OFF the ignition
Another correction...

After turning the ignition off, let the car sit for a minute or 2 then start it. At least that's what I read on another thread. I tried everything I read and I never felt any difference. :confused:

·
NKAWTG-N
62 Posts
I have an 01 Golf 2.o with auto and have read there are two modes to the auto trans ie Regular and Sport mode. Both can be set. Below are the procedures.

1. Regular setting - Ignition "on", depress gas pedal to floor and hold for 5 secs and then turn ignition "off"

2. Sport Mode - Ignition "on" , Depress gas pedal "Twice" and release and then start engine.

Stinkbug

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just searched the forum trying to find the reset sequence for my 99 2.0 Beetle and I have to say the following way fixed my high RPM shifting problems. Regular setting - Ignition "on", depress gas pedal to floor and hold for 15 secs and then turn ignition "off"

It was turning almost 4000 RPM`s before it would shift and it was kinda jerky shifts but know it shifts sooooo smooth and changes around 3000. Thanks for everyones input on this subject..

Jimmy B..

·
Former Beetle Owner
532 Posts
Can this possibly get me better gas mileage? I feel that it shifts just fine (not jerky or anything), I only get about 25mpg, though and that is with a lot of highway driving.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts