NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
callisto9 said:
really weird question, and probably a dumb one, but does this work for manual transmission cars?
Since in a VW with a manual transmission, YOU are the shift points, there really isn't anything to reset.:eek:

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump-t-bump as the automatic transmission reset is an especially a good idea if you buy a used Bug, if your driving habits change, or if your power outputs change i.e. chip.

Good tips and insights all. :)

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
CaptainXeroid said:
Since in a VW with a manual transmission, YOU are the shift points, there really isn't anything to reset.:eek:

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump-t-bump as the automatic transmission reset is an especially a good idea if you buy a used Bug, if your driving habits change, or if your power outputs change i.e. chip.

Good tips and insights all. :)
Yeah, when me and the "ex" broke up, I reset BB... my MPG shot right back up and she was all about ME again :rolleyes: I think he drove her too hard... but then again, maybe she liked it:rolleyes:

·
2002 New Beetle TDI 83k
68 Posts
This is what is tricky about buying a used '02 bug. I read through threads like this and find several useful ways to do something that all kind of contradict. Not complaining but I wish this stuff was a bit more straighforward.

I noticed nobody posted the directions on how to reset the automatic transmission shift memory. so here it is.

turn the ignition on do not start the engine hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor for more than 5 seconds (more like fifteen) release gas pedal turn ignition off then start car if this doesnt work try just starting the car after the procedure and dont turn it off first.

This will reset the shifting memory pattern and the transmission will reprogram itself to match the shift points with the way you drive.

--------------------------

Just a quick correction - from the Bentley

-switch on the ignition, but don't start the engine
-push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold there for at least 5 seconds (be sure the mats aren't in the way - you should feel the pedal 'click' as you go past the kickdown switch)
-release the accelerator pedal and turn OFF the ignition

----------------------------

After turning the ignition off, let the car sit for a minute or 2 then start it. At least that's what I read on another thread. I tried everything I read and I never felt any difference.

-----------------------------

I have an 01 Golf 2.o with auto and have read there are two modes to the auto trans ie Regular and Sport mode. Both can be set. Below are the procedures. 1. Regular setting - Ignition "on", depress gas pedal to floor and hold for 5 secs and then turn ignition "off" 2. Sport Mode - Ignition "on" , Depress gas pedal "Twice" and release and then start engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
really weird question, and probably a dumb one, but does this work for manual transmission cars?
how can this work on a manual tranny??? you make the gear changes, there's no computer!

only the automatic "old school" tranny and the DSG tranny have automatic modes... or how would you have manual tranny change gears by a computer or other magic carpet form???

·
Registered
28 Posts
and thanks to everybody who posted the "how to" for the sport & regualr mode reset. i never heard of it before, will try it today or tomorrow;)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Also, for those buying used bugs, especially with anything over about 70k, you might want to have your local guru drop the tranny pan, and replace the filter, fluid and seal. A tranny cleaning via suction is not the same thing, do not do it.

Amazing what a fluid and filter swap will do. Electra refused to shift at all, and once she got new fluid, she is shifting perfectly, and this is with two drivers with very distinctly different habits.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
I saw this trick here and I tried it. I noticed that it took a LONG time before probie would shift. I was getting worried that maybe his tranny was going kapoot! So I tried it, and now, oh man...once the tires are replaced this weekend, he'll be a dream to drive all over again!! Granted, I'm quickly approaching 100,000 miles and as far as I know, no fluid or filter has EVER been changed in this car. That is next paycheck!

But yes, I did it by turning the car on but not starting it, holding the pedal all the way down for 20 seconds (just to be sure), released the pedal and turned the car off. Waited a moment and started him up. Drove down the road and noticed a HUGE difference.

Now here's food for thought, if say you bought a used beetle and you've tried this trick and you don't notice a difference. Maybe you drive the same way the previous owner did, or very close to the same way that you hardly notice a difference. Just a thought. Keep an eye on the RPMs and when it shifts and that's the best way to notice a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought Newest version of Vag-Com and I resetted from my laptop and I checked up the "how to reset by igniton" etc. You can only reset by factory (learning) mode by turn key to ignition, push throttle for 15sec and turn off. If you want the sport or economy mode you have to reprogram from vag-com because when you choose them it says "economy mode FORCE" or "sport mode FORCE". :)

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
I bought Newest version of Vag-Com and I resetted from my laptop and I checked up the "how to reset by igniton" etc. You can only reset by factory (learning) mode by turn key to ignition, push throttle for 15sec and turn off. If you want the sport or economy mode you have to reprogram from vag-com because when you choose them it says "economy mode FORCE" or "sport mode FORCE". :)
Economy and sport modes can also be reset by a certain ignition switch and throttle sequence. I'll have to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Does this work on the PD engine with DSG transmission?

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Does this work on the PD engine with DSG transmission?
No. This is for the earlier 01M fail trannies.

There may be a different procedure for the DSG if there are indeed different modes that it can be put into.

·
Kitty Kandy Hello Kitty
68 Posts
Trans Reset

Well I tried the Trans reset because I purchase my car used. I am not sure of a difference that I see. I did each step twice to make sure that I did It correct because the first time I know I did it wrong. I did the reset for Trans and the sport mode. I have a 2010 NB that is tricmatic I think that's right which means it has auto and manual with the sports setting. What difference should I notice. I am a stickler for noise like sometimes a buzzing noise with is very very minimual. I have really good ears and the less little noise out of the ordinary bothers me. On a good note I did do the window trick with the key and it works!!!!!! As for the lighting in the NB is very limited I want to add a light to the flower vase that is battery powered and may be lights under the dash. Anyone has ideas??! Ohhh please educated me in vag-cam and the program that I will need to be able robust the key remote to down the windows which would be Kool. THANK YOU ALL FOR SO MUCH GREAT INFO ON THE SITE AND FOR SO MUCH SUPPORT!!!!!
Ps. The scan trick did not work and I don't have the monsoon system.

·
Registered
35 Posts
??? Tcm

My daughter has a 2000 beetle 2.0 AT 4 speed and i cannot locate where the Transmission Control Module is or if it has one
Any help would be great thank you all.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
It has a TCM for sure. Not sure if its the same on the NB, but I know on our Jetta it was under the rain tray.

·
Kitty Kandy Hello Kitty
68 Posts
Greetings, questions.....I have that same type of engine but a 2010. I was reading the forum and did the Trans reset and my car rides differently but I can't say in a manner that I like it. I feel that the ride before I did the Trans reset was much better! Now what I get is more so a drag when trying to accelerate and then for example I was driving up a incline today to enter the highway and I felt my car down kick as if I had it in manual mode and I didn't. I am starting to wonder if doing the Trans rest was a great idea. I have done it three times thinking maybe I did something wrong. I also did Trans rest for the sports mode. Please inform me if anyone may know any info. Could it be that's car is trying to now learn my driving style so it will take some adjusting since everything was rest?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got a question. I am Getting a 2002 Beatle 1.8t turbo. According to him some shop place they took it to some kid worked there rev the engine while slamming in gears and now won't go in gear. He did said he managed get it in gear but only goes 30 mph. So I don't know if transmission is toasted or this trick will fix it? I have to get an battery for it to find out what's going on to scan it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just searched the forum trying to find the reset sequence for my 99 2.0 Beetle and I have to say the following way fixed my high RPM shifting problems. Regular setting - Ignition "on", depress gas pedal to floor and hold for 15 secs and then turn ignition "off"

It was turning almost 4000 RPM`s before it would shift and it was kinda jerky shifts but know it shifts sooooo smooth and changes around 3000. Thanks for everyones input on this subject..

Jimmy B..
Omg.. So glad i read threw some of these posts.. I tried the key n gas pedel method and low n behold i just test drove it and YES! It worked!
Not saying complete fix but it most definatly helped.. Gonna clear codes n recheck now.. Thx ev1

21 - 40 of 40 Posts