NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if someone makes no-hastle plug 'n play retro looking steel rims? and if so, where could i get some nice high quality white walls to go on them. I think my summer ride would look good with them. rims would would have to be painted white and body colour i think.

any thoughts bugizens of the world?

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
mmmm retro steelies..

do a search on the how to forum

there is no such thing as a cheap whitewall for our cars sadly..

iirc coker tire has whitewalls, but prepare for big$$ (like $150 each)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but are you talking 30 year old rims here, or new made?

gosh even around 1989 i was able to get old bug rims at the junk yard for $10 each. a little sand blasting and some spray paint and bob was your uncle.

btw love your retro look. that 2-tone paint job is da bomb, as the youngsters would say. just perfect. i love it.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The retro look is easy. You need the VW factory 16" steel rims, ebay/junk yards are about the only suggestion I can give you on locating them (or if you find someone who wants to get rid of theirs on their GL). Any 16" VW steelie will work, the Beetles are not special.

The modding is easy: you drill 3-5 (I use 3 and have for a year now, aside from one where where my holes are off, it works wel) small holes into the rim itself and you tread a 1950s authentic VW Clip (5/$1.95 @ http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-115C) and you're basically done. If you want to paint them, I'd suggest putting the clips on first them painting. The clips WILL oxodize and look rusty after a week or two with rain if you do not coat them with an anti-rusting agent.

I did all 4 of my wheels, without removing them from the car, in about 2.5 hours with an inexperienced at best driller. The "pattern" I was told to follow was to put one clip above each lug nut, using 5 per wheel. There is a thin "line" that runs the steelie, and we planned to put the clips right on that line. Someone else, please fill in the "template" or better measurements (other than my do it by sight method here)!!!

Oh! Caps! yes.. I got a set on ebay for $12, then I got some nice 50s dome ones for $8 on Craigslist. The domes started falling off after some body work (the clips on my car are NOT perfect and wear easily because of how shoddily I put them on. I have to replace one every now and again, so losing a cap to the road is a common thing for me). I remember losing a cap on my way to Bugapaluza this year, and bought a used one for $1 at the show. I'd suggest a VW swap meet or show in your area to get the caps :)

Good luck! post pics!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really? that's it? i have a GL, so i guess i need to see what's under the plastic covers they have on there.

thanks!

now to find some good quality white walls.

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
You Have the 16" steelies under the plastic Covers :) .just need to drill paint and snap on the retro HUbcaps :D. They do make Potra walls But i dont think they come in 16" :( .

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
My friend made a whitewall turning wheel.

He can make any tire into a whitewall tire, because I guess most (if not all) tires have white rubber at the core, so he shaves the wall down as it spins.

He has them on his old Ford, and they look mint.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was loking at tire rack dot com. i wonder if any of there tires would fit the bill and fit on our rims? of course
they'd be bigger tires i suppose. now, anyone know if they make a high performace white wall? this car is my everyday summer drive. approx 10K miles per year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts