NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody sell the new beetle wood slat roof racks anymore?

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Your best bet is to look at VW Vortex, or the Samba. Good luck! They look awesome on New Beetles!

·
blue highways
735 Posts
There are actually two with wood slats. The PIP (Parts Is Parts, SLC Utah) is the one that follows the curve of the Beetle's roof. The Flat 4 Industries one has a flat slat-area, still made to fit the new beetle but looks boxier and more like those sold by VW dealers in the 1950-60s.

My PiP one was something over $500 in 1998 including the locking knobs. They also sold attachments for bikes, etc. The paint left something to be desired.. I ended up getting mine poweder-coated four or five years ago (another 200 bucks) and have replaced the slats three times (a garage and/or teak/mahogany instead of oak is probably the best hope here- professional marine varnish only goes so far). I have seen them pop up on the Samba from 150 and up- good luck!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ollie's Felix has one of those. He said as far as he knows they stopped making them a few years ago and best bet is watching vortex/samba/ebay.. but there's actually one posted here right now, if you haven't seen it. http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/44126-pip-roof-rack-new-vw-beetle-250-a.html
Thanks! I saw this one, but with pieces missing and the inability to design or get the specs for the original it would not work for me. On top of that no shipping. I truly appreciate you pointing me in that direction. :)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are actually two with wood slats. The PIP (Parts Is Parts, SLC Utah) is the one that follows the curve of the Beetle's roof. The Flat 4 Industries one has a flat slat-area, still made to fit the new beetle but looks boxier and more like those sold by VW dealers in the 1950-60s.

My PiP one was something over $500 in 1998 including the locking knobs. They also sold attachments for bikes, etc. The paint left something to be desired.. I ended up getting mine poweder-coated four or five years ago (another 200 bucks) and have replaced the slats three times (a garage and/or teak/mahogany instead of oak is probably the best hope here- professional marine varnish only goes so far). I have seen them pop up on the Samba from 150 and up- good luck!
Thanks for info. Was the wood going bad from moisture or drying out? I am in PHX and we get about 10-20 days of rain a year. I garage park my cars at home and the park and ride has covered parking (yes it is that miserably hot). :firedevil

I will keep my eye on the Samba. Does anyone know if they have an iphone app for the Samba, I have not been able to find one.

Brian

·
blue highways
735 Posts
Ah cool- I didn't check the location- my issues were moisture so you'll probably be fine- and with no road salt, the original paint might be good too- especially with a garage. No app that I know of but never looked, so..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beetle roof rack with bike rails

Hi guys I know it's a bit late but I have one for sale if interested same exact one but mine has two bike rails pm for more info might ship if your willing to pay for it

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Beetle People are the BEST! :party:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

Check thesamba often and I have seen one on eBay. I have seen 3 on here since October. Also check craigslist within the distance you are willing to drive.

I am refinishing mine right now. It was a bit rusty and the slats need to be finished. I had a neighbor make a new mounting foot for me. Now I just need to figure out how to secure it without theft possibilities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts