NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G`Day from Tasmania.
I own a 2008 VW Beetle 1.6 Manual and unfortunately I ran over a Wallaby which ripped out the reverse light wires. The Wallaby hopped away to tell the tale!
After repairing the reverse light wires.
Now my reverse light and my speedometer wont work and my fuel gauge moves up and down when i drive.
I checked the Globe ( OK ) Checked reverse light switch on the gearbox ( OK )
Checked number 7 fuse ( OK ) I don`t know where to go from here.
Please help

·
Registered
731 Posts
I ran over a woodchuck one that ripped off my exhaust pipe. At least it wasn’t a moose like people in Maine and Minnesota contend with.

It sounds like more was damaged that just the reverse lights. The speed sensor is on the transmission I’m going to assume on rear of the transmission you’ll need to find it and check that wiring as well. If you just checked the wiring in the rear of the car you need to shift your attention to the front as well. The reverse light sensor is also mounted on the transmission right beside the shift tower.

Trace out the fuel gauge wires. You can lift the back seat and remove the circular cover and that will give you access to the top of the fuel tank. You’ll be able to see the wires at that point and know what color you’re looking for as you trace them to the front.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When you repaired the reverse lights did you get the wires backward? I’m not sure that would make a difference but it might.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Thejarhead I will investigate tomorrow
G’Day again and big thank you to all who post on this great site especially To Thejarhead.
I checked all wiring again and found the reverse light wires broken further back under the rear bumper.
After repairing them the number 7 fuse was blown.
Replaced the fuse and I got back the Reverse light and the Speedo started working straight away and my fuel gauge doesn’t dance anymore.
Funny thing is I checked the number 7 fuse twice with a multimeter and once with a test light and even pulled the fuse out and visually checked it.
Every time it was good.
The next day after Thejarhead commented I went and started from the fuse box and just to humour myself again before I started to pull the whole car apart I checked the number 7 fuse once more, this time it was blown🤔
As every one always says it’s usually the simple things.
Big thanks to all 👍

·
Registered
731 Posts
Good job, this was all your own perseverance in finding those broken wires. Wiring problems can be extremely frustrating. Congratulations on fixing that bugger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts