NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, IT'S STILL GOT IT

The Volkswagen Beetle is entering it's sixth year on the market. Although much of the hoopla that surrounded the car early on has worn off, it still attracts plenty of admirers - especially the convertible version.

I had the fortune of driving the new 2006 convertible on a couple of occasions. The first time was along the beaches of Southern California, where owners of Beetle convertibles wave at each other (they did). The second time was on Halloween night.

On that night, I go pick up my 13-year old daughter, who proclaims, "I'm not riding in a chick car!" But her voice is drowned out by her 'chick' friends, who proclaim, "This is so cool!" One of the friends says she wants one in five years.

Driving down residential streets on Halloween at night proves a bit tricky with all the pedestrians. After apologizing to one group for my failure to yield (I didn't see them crossing the street), they respond, "That's okay, we love your car."

In this day and age, it seems like many a car and SUV are intentionally designed to look big, bad and mean. Not this one. Even after all these years, the Beetle Convertible still has the ability to make people smile.

By the way, that new 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine that comes in the 2006 Beetle? What a nice addition - great low-end torque; good gas mileage, and clean burning to boot. Thumbs up, VW.

http://lacar.com/modules.php?n...d=562

·
Super Moderator
14,769 Posts
We have two New Beetles, previous had three. You have it right. There aren't too many cars on the road that can make a person smile. Isn't it amazing? :clap:

The Turbo S is mine, my hubbys car is the NBC. (we both own both, but you know what I mean) No other car we have ever had (and we've had plenty) has led such a pampered life as that NBC. I don't know how VW builds in the personality and charisma of these New Beetles, but it's pure magic! :party:

Welcome to the Org! :wave3:

·
Caliente!
597 Posts
I agree. I was passing by a Jr. High a couple of weeks ago and I had to stop to let the PE students cross the road from the school to field and a bunch of them stopped to tell me how much they liked my car and the rest just smiled as they crossed the road.

·
I've been buggered.
899 Posts
Arroyo,
It's true. These cars definately get looks, all the time. Instead of the people being angry and disallusioned, like I would see when I drove the 2003 Hyundai Elantra, my 2001 Silver sport NB with Take 5's gets happy looks, interested drive through jockeys, and grandmas to kids giggling at the funny little car with the 17's!:eek: :rolleyes: :D
And that's years after this thread was posted!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts