NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 sliver beetle that has sliver rims on it, they are not the pop off cover type beetle rims. they are the ones that are property type rims that you just have to take the lug nuts off. Well on the rims they have stracthes on them from taking off the tires on the sprocket gun and taking them off manually. I was wondering if there is something that I sould to take the stracthes out for the most. they just kind of look like a kid just took a sharp object and started to go at and stracth the beegeebees out of it. if any body has any idea I would really appericate it. thanks

Tom Servo

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Well, the alloy wheels are painted, just like the rest of the car. You could probably find some mathcing touch-up paint, or you could get the rims re-finished, but most people dont see a need to refinish factory rims because most styles are not worth that much.

But I totally agree with you with scratches around the lugnut area, some types of wheels have a very small opening around the nut, that you need a low clearence wrench so you dont hit the wheel itself. I found this out personally when i went to put my new rims on and the lug wrench that came with the car scratched one of the rims, i hadda dremmil it down to fit inside the smaller holes.

·
MST3K
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you bascially just dremmel the stracthes out and repaint it in the color? did that come out ok? I was curious i just don't like seeing stracthes on my bug. to me I feel like I'm injuriong my bug, and I want to keep him in top shape, It's a good little car and gets good gas mile. ranked threed in the best gas effienct car in the usa and fourth was the jetta. I thought was pretty cool 3 and 4 were VW cars.

Tom Servo

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I think he's saying it dremmeled his lug wrench down.

But the concept would work fine for your stock wheels as well.

Sand it down and repaint it. There's a guy locally here that'll do that stuff to a wheel in the parking lot (he removes it and takes it into the trailer) made a pretty good match on color and everything. But I think he charges like $75 per wheel to handle those lil' scratches. A matching paint is really the hard part, anyone can sand. Being non-chrome the small imperfections won't show nearly as bad, you just gotta feather out a SMALL bit to get rid of that 'ledge' where the scratch is. Then paint it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts