VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Last week I started to hear a noise from my 2002 Beetle that sounds like road noise but I keep suspecting it may be something else. The pitch is in sync with the speed of the car, though when I steer left I do feel a bit of something I do not feel when turning right or going straight. I do not hear the noise at low speeds (under 20mph).

The car shifts well, rides the same, has the same gas mileage (with the commute I have I use about $10 of gas each day going to and from work). Whether I am on cement of asphalt doesn't change the sound.

Is there anything other source other than properly inflated tires that are 2 years old with a 10,000+ miles on them that could sound like road noise?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You, my friend have a wheel bearing that is going bad.
If the noise goes away when you steer to the left, then it is the left side. If the noise goes away when you steer to the right, then it is the right side.:)
And by the way, welcome to the new Beetle .org!
Me Patrick too!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely, and I can't get it checked out until the weekend when I get paid. Hope it holds up until then!

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Bug is going in for its annual safety inspection next week so I'll have it replaced then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts