NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a dummy, I used a floor jack to raise the Beeetle for a tire rotation. Forgot/realized that you are suppose to raise the vehicle at a specific point only and best to use a bottle jack to do this. I WAS at that point but cradle of floor jack too wide I suppose.

Anyway, bent the rocker panel a little with the cradle of the floor jack. Is there anyway I can access the rocker panel from the top from inside the car maybe so I can gentley push the rocked panel somewhat back into original shape?

Or any other ideas on how to fix?

Thank you!
George

re: 2000 New Beetle - GLS

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Geohunt, you cannot put the same threads all over. I am keeping this one, but the other one will be deleted. If you think you started one perhaps in the wrong forum, ask one of the mods to move it. Thank you in advance!

And sorry for the booboo with the rocker......

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
I already told him to search when he posted in the General Questions section, and he just reposted.

Also, to repeat what I said before, using a floor jack is not an issue on these cars. I use one all the time and have never harmed my rocker panel. Its just about placing it correctly.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Also, to repeat what I said before, using a floor jack is not an issue on these cars. I use one all the time and have never harmed my rocker panel. Its just about placing it correctly.
It's not about the tool. It's the tool using the tool. My H.S. auto-shop teachers favorite quote.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Like a dummy, I used a floor jack to raise the Beeetle for a tire rotation. Forgot/realized that you are suppose to raise the vehicle at a specific point only and best to use a bottle jack to do this. I WAS at that point but cradle of floor jack too wide I suppose.

Anyway, bent the rocker panel a little with the cradle of the floor jack. Is there anyway I can access the rocker panel from the top from inside the car maybe so I can gentley push the rocked panel somewhat back into original shape?

Or any other ideas on how to fix?

Thank you!
George

re: 2000 New Beetle - GLS
Well, I tried pulling out the identations created by the floor jack with a paintless type slide hammer that uses glue pull cups. Didn't work. The slide hammer kept pulling off the pull cups and the metal did not move. I have a regular slide hammer kit too that uses screws to pull but then you're into the hole patching routine that requires painting etc. Fyi, 2 body shops I took it to basically blew me off and didn't want to do the reapir. Maybe I can find a shop that's hungry w/o attitude. Thanks, George

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Well, I tried pulling out the identations created by the floor jack with a paintless type slide hammer that uses glue pull cups. Didn't work. The slide hammer kept pulling off the pull cups and the metal did not move. I have a regular slide hammer kit too that uses screws to pull but then you're into the hole patching routine that requires painting etc. Fyi, 2 body shops I took it to basically blew me off and didn't want to do the reapir. Maybe I can find a shop that's hungry w/o attitude. Thanks, George
I don't think you can get in from the top - the rockers are structural. If you don't like filler then it's a pretty major surgery that you will have to leave to a competent bodyshop. Also I don't think anyone other than a VW bodyshop will have access to the original wax-based undercoating - maybe something compatible though (somebody please correct me if I am wrong). However my experience with VW bodyshops so far is limited to the work I have seen done (it's all crap FYI, but they work by the clock and the results you get in the allocated time are the results you get - proper prep and paint takes time). Maybe someone around here knows a reputable shop in your area that will man up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts