NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there's a lot of threads on here regarding questions about repairing/replacing rocker panels and what not...BUT I came across a picture of a bug with what looked like black rubber covers? And I want them!

I'm essentially looking for any sort of cover (DIY or purchased) but cannot find anything decent looking or decent priced...Some threads mentioned Vortex(?) covers but I cannot find them anywhere and I'm thinking something rubber might work better when hitting curbs?

I may have a little bit of an issue with hitting curbs (only on the passenger side though) and do not want to repair it, as I just know a week after getting it fixed there will be another dent in it. But I hate the way it looks right now.

I have a picture saved somewhere of a bug with black (I think rubber) rocker panels but cannot find it, and one thread had an e-mail address for someone who maybe made them but the e-mail bounced back.

Anyone know where to find something like this? Or how to make?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's actually the e-mail I tried that didn't go through :(
I guess it won't hurt to send another one and cross fingers.
Thanks!

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
What if you got someone or yourself to bondo the rocker panel dings and then vinyl wrap it or mask it off and Plasti dip them?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Take a quick trip to Lowe's and Home Depot and look at the floor treads and black mats the rubber runners are perfect to use as a fix. As stated fill in dents and rough sand the finish to rough it up so the glue will stick. It will look like the running boards on the Air Cooled Beetles.

Go for it -:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a limit to how much one can bondo the panels? When I say dent...it's really much more than a few little dents...think completely crushed in....

And I googled plasti dip as i've never heard of it, and it looks neat! Has anyone else tried this and had a good experience with it?

Also, this may be silly, but there is glue that would be strong enough to glue the rubber to it right?

·
blue highways
735 Posts
3M automotive trim tape holds the rubber on well- just clean both surfaces with alcohol first and try to have the double-sided foam tape around the hole piece with no gaps to let grit wash in if you want to keep the rocker paint in good shape. A piece of butcher paper makes a good template for cutting the rubber matting. Real Source used to sell stainless rocker trim that would complete the old beetle look but you would have to make a gap in the matting or fill four or five of the ribs with liquid rubber or something to give the trim-strips a flat surface to adhere to

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
??I agree. If its too crushed you might want to get a dent puller and try to pop as much out before filling it.

Plastidip is a great product too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Errrmmm perhaps I should take a picture....All are very good suggestions, but there really isn't even enough left to pull out a dent. That's why i'm questioning how much bondi can be used or whether or not anything would adhere to it. 7 years worth of curb hitting has done its toll.

I will snap a picture in a couple of hours and then maybe that will help you guys in recommending what I can do?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay here is a picture! Is there enough left that I could layer bondo on and then attach the rubber or use plastidip?? I hate hate hate the look of this and need to do something with it, but I cannot justify spending the money on replacing it when I know there is more curb hitting in my future

And please ignore the dirt, she does not normally look like this!

IMG_3702.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP! Can anyone answer my question about whether or not there is enough of the panel left to use bondo? As in is there a limit to how thick I can layer the bondo on before trying platidip or a rubber piece? I've never used bondo before so i'm just not sure how thick I can put it on (i'm worried it will be so thick that when I hit a curb the whole piece will just fall off)

I've also contacted Optiwerks to find out when they are going to have a cover for sale (that's last resort to bondo not working)

·
Mom, Wife, Lover of VW's
186 Posts
Do you know anyone who does body work, they may be able to use a dent puller and pull some of that out and then bondo it. That would be my suggestion. That would take a lot of bondo with the current condition if you don't pull some of it out first.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you know anyone who does body work, they may be able to use a dent puller and pull some of that out and then bondo it. That would be my suggestion. That would take a lot of bondo with the current condition if you don't pull some of it out first.

Good Luck.
Okay I didn't think that it was even worth looking into getting someone to pull it out...thought it was too crunched in! I will look into pulling it out first then!
Thanks!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Ouch :eek: that looks sad. Org member usabug03 (Rhonda) used Rhino liner on her 3W NBC. You could send her a PM for more info and uh, stay away from curbs? :D

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
mine are carpet runners, Growler on here made them for me easiest thing is to get the length of the rocker, make a template of where it meets the fenders and make sure you have enough to wrap under the rocker to secure it with the 3m tape .

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carpet runner, held on by 3m Tape!

JonK
Hello! I have a 2002 1.8 that had large dents in middle of both side running boards, when we bought it.( The body is in fantastic shape, except for these dents. After unsuccessful attempts to find an affordable fix, I saw your post and loved it! I have purchased the rubber matting, diamond plate black, and adhesive. Any tips before I attempt this project tomorrow? Thank you ☺
Joel

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
266 Posts
Buy the copy votex sills on eBay. They are from the original vw parts and fit/work great

IMO better than rubber mats which willl fail in no time

1 - 20 of 20 Posts