NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Queen Dopamine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a 2004 Beetle Convertible and it has a problem: the alarm for the roof is always going off, even when its latched in place. I want to replace it myself but I cannot seem to take apart the header to get to it. Is there a trick?
Also, when the roof is back, the little latches to lock it in place do not go down. Any idea what causes that, and is it something I could potentially DIY?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I assume you want to get the trim off on the front roof near the latch?

I recall I took mine if and it was not so difficult, but I do not recall exactly how it was connected. Assuming there are no screws, then usually there are plastic clips that will pull out. Similar to door panel anchors.

I did not need to address the micro switch so I do not recall if there is a switch in the top or the top of the windshield cowl

Search YouTube and you may find some videos.

Also search Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem!

When I put my roof down it is tightly secured but the indicator light thing says it is not locked and then that darn buzzer keeps going off! Help!

·
Queen Dopamine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called volkswagen to see how much the part would cost, they quoted $1000 and said I have to replace the whole latch assembly. Surely that can't be right if all I have is a bad sensor, the latch works fine. Any ideas on what part that would be?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
BS, there are micro switches that control most of the top behavior. They are replaceable and I think you can get them directly from VW.

Chances are you spoke with a Service Writer and not the Parts Department? Service Writers always quote and sell you high priced service because the Service Writers make commissions on sales.

They are either in the top of the upper windshield cowl, inside the top latch area and in the rear part of the car near the back seat.

·
Queen Dopamine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car seems to be missing the flaps. I've read that the flaps are mostly just aesthetics, so I'm hoping they wont be a problem. I've ordered the sensor, and will keep updating this thread till its solved.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The rear flaps are not necessary, they are just for a more finished look when the top is down.

People removed the flaps where there were problems rather than spend money on parts or repairs.

The flap removal would then require the micro switches in the rear to be bypassed or spoofed.

I am not 100% sure but the VAG401 from Amazon for around $50 might be able to rear errors in the roof system.

Without being able to read codes or monitor switches you are just guessing.

·
Queen Dopamine
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so we managed to replace the sensor, but the top stopped working and the windows wont roll up. We already unplugged the battery to reset the computer with no luck. Any ideas?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Our '04 does not have the flaps either. I thought they were deleted on the '04 model year?

At any rate, we have a manual top and it is quite difficult to get it to latch in the down/open position. To do so, you have to put most of your body weight on the top to get one side to latch, then do the same with the other side. If both sides are not latched, the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Top alarm

I just 'manualized' the power top on my '03. To my knowledge the top has never latched anywhere in the open and stowed position, although I could be wrong. I can reach the sensor switch in the top latch pin seat, right side. I believe this tells the system the top is securely closed. Anyone got any ideas as to how to spoof the system with this switch? If it thinks the top is up and latched it should shut it up no matter the actual position.

The alarm isn't so bad if you are on the road, as it shuts up after a few seconds at speed. But in traffic it starts going off every time you get slow ... PITA.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I am sure if you search there is info out there. But be aware there can alarms for the rear wings or even the locking mechanism for when the top is down.

I assume the rear wing sensors would just need to be jumpered??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most likely problems with the micro switches and/or broken wiring in the top folding mechanism if there are any wires running along the top frame.

But micro switch problems are most likely problem. Possibly in the front part of the roof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys ever figure out how to stop the buzzer? I cut the wire at the latch and spliced it together, still buzzing... I figured if it closed the circuit it would think it's latched

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
You guys ever figure out how to stop the buzzer? I cut the wire at the latch and spliced it together, still buzzing... I figured if it closed the circuit it would think it's latched

Maybe the circuit is already closed?? Maybe you only needed to cut one wire, to open the loop? I was having the same issue, but I just took the switch out and glued a piece of 1/4" wood on the black plastic piece where the hook hits and it works! The latch assembly (hook) doesn't go forward enough to press the switch when closing, due to being bent I'm guessing. IF you separate your wires and keep them from contacting, see if that tells the car that the top is closed and please let me know. IF that works, then if my piece of wood comes off, I'll just cut a wire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So now sometimes the buzzer comes on, sometimes it doesn't, top open or closed. I guess it's the convertible close/open sensor behind the seat. I'm going to do the same to them and see if that closes the whole circuit
Maybe the circuit is already closed?? Maybe you only needed to cut one wire, to open the loop? I was having the same issue, but I just took the switch out and glued a piece of 1/4" wood on the black plastic piece where the hook hits and it works! The latch assembly (hook) doesn't go forward enough to press the switch when closing, due to being bent I'm guessing. IF you separate your wires and keep them from contacting, see if that tells the car that the top is closed and please let me know. IF that works, then if my piece of wood comes off, I'll just cut a wire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
Have you identified; which sensors are faulty? A VW specific scan tool; will be able to read any trouble codes, stored in the control module. The factory vw trouble codes; should identify, any faulty components or sensors.

Reading the vw self study program; will help you understand the covertible top system design and location of the various sensors.

The New Beetle Cabriolet – Self-study programme 281

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&hl=en-us&ei=a_dHW8j7N8yGsQWokabwBQ&q=The+New+Beetle+Cabriolet+–+Self-study+programme+281&oq=The+New+Beetle+Cabriolet+–+Self-study+programme+281&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...6739.6739..9526...2.0...339.339.3-1......0....1j2.......5..35i39.F_1tCom50eo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts