NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a quick question. I stopped by the salvage yard today to find some random interior pieces and got lucky. I picked up a whole glovebox assembly, 4 cupholders, and the vw base carrier roof bars for only 80 bucks total. Sweet huh? My question is about the roof bars. How are they installed? Do I need a special key? They didn't come with any keys or anything and I'm reading about needing a special wrench and key set? Is this something vw can do for me? I just couldn't let them go at 40 dollars for the set. Pics soon

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics,

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody?? Bad purchase? Nobody has these installed to give pointers?

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I don't have a roof rack, but I have been looking for one. So, that means, I am clueless regarding your question... sorry! :eek:

You got a great deal, even if you have to get a key for it. Those things, used, go for over $100!

·
Registered
307 Posts
this info is probably way wrong but hopefully not. that rack was actually done by thule. if you can look at the lock cylinders you can get a number off them. once you find that number you can actually order the key from thule, or go on ebay and find one.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
Hey guys I have a quick question. I stopped by the salvage yard today to find some random interior pieces and got lucky. I picked up a whole glovebox assembly, 4 cupholders, and the vw base carrier roof bars for only 80 bucks total. Sweet huh? My question is about the roof bars. How are they installed? Do I need a special key? They didn't come with any keys or anything and I'm reading about needing a special wrench and key set? Is this something vw can do for me? I just couldn't let them go at 40 dollars for the set. Pics soon
you scored. :bigthumb:

go with the numbers on the lock cylinder---you should be able to get a replacement key from Thule, if not i'd check with a local locksmith.

to tighten the rack to the roof, since you don't have the stock "wrench" you can get the job done with a socket wrench, extension, and the right sized metric allen key socket (don't recall the size, but it's a common one).

in terms of installing the rack on the bug, there are alignment marks on the upper/inner part of the door frame...they should be pretty easy to spot.

for the rear bars, look for a ^ symbol on the rear quarter window...that's where i align the center of the rear bracket...instructions tell you to pull back the rear window gasket to allow the bracket to directly contact the window frame. VW included a nylon spreader with the roof rack kit...not sure what else you could use that won't damage the rubber gasket.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't have a roof rack, but I have been looking for one.
Used OEM pair on eBay in the last week or so.

FYI, I'm betting you will experience aerodynamic issues, including wind noises with any type of roof racks, and reduced mpg. ;) Just moving a crossbar on the built in rack on my Burb created noise, and the OM even stated such, so mfrs are aware of the issues.

M.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
oh and you can count on increased noise as MORAV pointed out...

the VW/Votex racks are the noisiest racks i've ever used...on Bug, Passat, and Wabbit.

they're on when i'm using 'em to haul surfboards or other stuff, and off immediately afterwards.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Speaking of a trailer, how 'bout this one!

Always thought U-Haul's "Sport" trailer would be ideal for this. Have considered buying, rehabbing, and painting to match one for my Vette! Or maybe contacting them, finding out who there Vendor for these is, and buying one new. Very lightweight and aerodynamic. Even stylish (lol)! Done with the right color red, it might work with both my Magnetic Red Vette and my Dark Flint Grey w Garnet Red Top SE NBC, maybe matching Take 5 wheels!

45 cubic feet, 965 lb, capacity.

Anyone see one of these on a U-Haul lot for sale, please post up the info or p/m me.

M..

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this the the code on the lock cylinder? How would I contact thule, through email? I'm not really going use it that much I just like the look. I'm going for a California look with the surfboards on top and some vintage empi wheels. Does anyone have a pic of their rack unlocked? I'm not sure how it functions. I am sorta familiar with the install since I helped the yard pull it off. This week I'm gonna clean it up maybe paint the brackets flat black. Thanks for your help guys!

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Since I started riding my bike I have had my rack constantly on my car.
Mine had keys, I have no way to confirm that it is Thule, mine just have the VW logo.
As for installation - once you find a set of keys and you remove that cover (with key) it should have a diagram of which side and front or back that the clamp should be located. There are some endentions on the upper door jamb (you can see if you open the door) that are the width of the clamp - that is your forward most location for the front rack...the back is a little more guess work based on the angle of the clamp.
The only tool you will need is an allen wrench.

I can snap some pics if you like and upload.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts