NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I am going to be moving from Chicago to Tempe, AZ in October, and no way am I leaving the Bug behind. Plus, I have a dog, and have to get him out there as well...which brings me to my issue and question. Whenever I tote my Husky around in the NB, I put the rear seats down so he has the whole hatch area for himself. Sooo, that precludes any luggage. I already looked into renting a truck and hauling the Bug, but that is too expensive for me (I have advanced cancer, am on disability, and am moving to be with family). So, my sister suggested a cartop cargo carrier. I doubt I will use it much more than for this one trip, so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've been doing some online surfing, and came across these: will these fit atop my 2007 NB?

Sherpak Go! 15 Roof Bag - Free Shipping at REI.com

Amazon.com: Keeper 07203 Waterproof Roof Top Cargo Bag - 15 Cubic Feet: Automotive

Amazon.com: Allied International 32424 Cargoloc 15-Cubic/Feet Deluxe Roof Top Cargo Carrier: Home Improvement

AND what about a roof rack, should I get one?

Thanks,
Jane

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sorry to hear about your health issues.

Since it's a one time deal, I think your wasting your money. Cubic footage isn't going to be that much anyway. Way easier to box it up and UPS or FedEx Ground it. Greyhound moves things cheaply also. Once you can get dimensions and weights on the boxes, go online and register and do a prepaid label, and save another 10%. No hassling with mounting it, getting things up above the roof, unloading, unmounting it, etc. No chance of issues on the road with it, and way better gas mileage.

No need to pack your winter coats, as with your Husky, you won't need 'em.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your compassion about my health...I am hanging in there. :)

Well, with my dog in the rear (with the seat folded down), there isn't even anywhere to put a purse!:p A friend is going with me, so both front seats will be occupied. Given my health and the fact that we will be traveling with a dog, it will take us a couple days to get out there...so basically, we need a place to carry the luggage and stuff (dog food...;) )we will need on the road.

I just don't know what will fit the roof.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again...sorry to bump this thread again, but I really need some guidance here. I move in about a month, so time is becoming short. I don't really know where else to ask for input...so if anyone can check out the links in the first post, or suggest a different inexpensive yet effective rooftop cargo system, I'd be very grateful!

Peace,
Jane

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I think the biggest issues with NBs and roof racks/carriers is that the roof isn't flat. The curve makes it a challenge to get things to work well. Not sure if anyone on here has a rack that wasn't made specifically for the NB so it may be hard to get a response as to if these will work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your response...would I have to go through a VW dealer to find something made specifically for the NB? The curved roof is one reason ($$ the other) that I was looking at soft-sided carriers...

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help! This says it is for a 1998 Beetle though? What year is your Bug? When I went through Thule's "fit finder" it told me it had no product coming up for a 2007 New Beetle. Hm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts