NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to thank Sue Isley for making the trip to Roswell to do some recon and get some photos and information on the sites we are considering. Also, thanks to Brian Smith for extra photos and insight into Ceilo Grande.

We are considering a few site around Roswell for the 2015 Show.

Being a night show we are interested in the following characteristics for a show site:

1 - Parking at least 60, but more is better.
2 - Lighting
3 - Restroom availability
4 - Spectators

The following are sites we have considered:
a - Ceilo Grande Park
b - Pioneer Park
c - Cahoon Park
d - RISD Stadium - Wool Bowl

The image below shows the locations of the sites in Roswell.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A - Ceilo Grande Park

This is the site of the old Roswell Airport and has new lighted fields, although none are pointing towards the area we would have a show.
We asked about parking on the grass of the fields, but they have had issues with broken sprinkler heads so they no longer allow car shows on the grass.

Currently we have filled a form to reserve the field, but no money has changed hands.
They require a $250 usage fee and an insurance policy. Other costs for this site would include renting(~$200) a light tree similar to last year.

They have movie night in the park during the summer time, so our neighbor could be families watching a movie on one of the fields.

The Park has a playground, skate park, restrooms and possible concessions (assuming they are open for the movie).

Score card
1 - will allow for 96+ cars for a car show
2 - Lighting is a negative (~$200 cost)
3 - Restrooms available near the ball field
4 - Spectators could be parents and kids going to see the summer movie.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
B - Pioneer Plaza

Have heard that they have had car shows around this plaza.
It is only a couple blocks north of the UFO Museum, across the street from the County Courthouse.

We haven't checked into what it takes to make this one happen, but it has some positives: near downtown and possible spectators, parade possibility, city lighting (would need to investigate if extra lighting is necessary) and near shops/food.
Big negative and question is bathrooms!

1 - Parking at least 53
2 - Lighting - city lighting and possible parking lot lighting
3 - Restroom availability - the biggest question!
4 - Spectators

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C - Cahoon Park

We are looking at a location near where we had the 2011 Return to Roswell...or just the possibility of revisiting the Park.

My main concern in lighting in this location.

1 - 53ish, possibly - might have to look to find an alternate spot to park more cars within the park that the one I did initially laid out
2 - Lighting - would have to rent a light tree (~$200)
3 - Restroom availability - short walk to the pool
4 - Spectators - possible

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D - RISD Stadium - Wool Bowl

We investigating doing a photo shoot in this parking lot last year, but never could get a hold of the ISD to get permission to walk to the top of their stadium to get an aerial photo of all the cars together.

I did find a document that discussed only ISD use, but went on to discuss requiring costs for custodial services to clean up after an event.

This would definitely be a long shot...but definitely ample area for parking!

1 - Parking as many as we could fit!
2 - Lighting...uncertain if there is parking lighting
3 - Restroom availability - only if we could gain permission - then a cost for using
4 - Spectators - most likely not.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great Work

Thank you for putting this info together. As this will be my first Roswell, I have no background experience to use to make comments or suggestions. All I can say, is proximity to rest rooms would be high on my personal priority list. I can walk, but have some physical limitations as to distance and terrain, so a short walk on a paved path, with adequate lighting (I will bring a flashlight, just in case), would be important to me.
Thanks again.
Dennis

·
Registered
110 Posts
Antoine, good job, and thanks Sue, for the pictures. Having only been once to Roswell, last year, sorry I can't help much with the choice. but I think either Pioneer Plaza or Cahoon Park look great!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Wow! Great Job Antoine!

Thanks for putting this together Antoine! Thanks to Sue for doing the RECON! Whatateam!

From what I see, the spot with the best possible foot traffic for spectators and possibly no lighting issues is downtown at the Plaza. The potty issue could be a concern, but if we plan our fluid intake well enough most people should be able to last a couple hours. Plus there may be some restaurants and local business we could visit and support in exchange for the emergency needs.

I would really like to see where the event was cost neutral and we don't have to pass the hat so the organizers take a financial hit for putting on the show. Not that I am being cheap, I'll gladly pitch in for the event costs, just hate to see anyone sweating over how they are going to come up with the fees is all. Site rental and light tower rental could get expensive especially when we don't have a firm number of attendees committed.

My 2¢ worth, maybe 10¢ with inflation.

Chuckie

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've thought about putting a paypal link with the registration form for anyone wanting to contribute. We have had folks step up in the past to help out and have commitments as well this time...but if a lot gave a little it would be better than one or two giving a lot.
I haven't discussed that with anyone yet, so not sure if we are going to do that or not.:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Location doesn't bother me. I'm sure spectators, lighting and restrooms are a factor, but once others chime in wool help. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw such greenery when I was there for the 2003 show. So far I'm still planning on attending. I don't have much cash now, but am fine to help donate to help.

·
Super Moderator
5,350 Posts
I like the first two the most although the unknown bathroom situation makes it a bit of a problem. The park looks nice too however.

·
got NB Toys?
511 Posts
I like the airport idea... maybe we could even participate at the drive-in like we did years ago!

Lots of room, washrooms, concession stand. Maybe we could even drag race down a runway? ;)

The Plaza location is also nice. That's where they had the bbq and fiddle contest last time. It's nice and Central, oops central, and I'm sure there are local fast food joints close by that have washrooms. I think Mikey D's is a block away.

Still not sure if I'll be able to attend this time, but that's my $2 Canadian! ;)

Howie

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i like the one with the skatepark. i havent tried to break my legs in a while. why not in Roswell?

-jd

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So...the Airport building (backdrop of the Cielo Grande site) is slated to be demolished soon...so they suggested an alternate area to do the show on the same site, closer to playground and restrooms...and there are some lights near that area.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,350 Posts
That looks like it could work, bathrooms are always nice as are playgrounds for whatever little people may get dragged along. As well as bringing attention from outsiders.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts