NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Show Date : June 23rd-26th MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
~~~~~~~~~~FINAL BRIEFING 2017 ATTACHED AT BOTTOM OF THIS POST~~~~~~~~~~

REGISTER!!! - Pre-Registration Form up and working! Click Here.
DECALS!!! - http://newbeetle.org/forums/roswell2k/139577-roswell-2017-decal-pre-orders.html

Host Hotel - Comfort Suites
"New Beetle Convention" - Edie Stevens is our contact at the hotel.
$79.00 - 1 King Bed, No Smoking,Suite
$85.00 2 Queen Beds, No Smoking, Suite
https://www.choicehotels.com/new-mexico/roswell/comfort-suites-hotels/nm157
Phone: (575) 623-5501
**As of 1/24/2017 there were 13 King suites and 9 Queen Double suites available under this rate.
Note: the cut-off date for holding the rooms will be Friday, June 2nd

Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/286031688242279
Facebook Event Page - https://www.facebook.com/events/775552312464574/
CapsuleCam - View and contribute photos from Route 66 - Roswell 2015 with CapsuleCam! Download for iPhone or Android: Use Join Code: WVEPX (Thanks Tabitha!)
Hot Wheels Races - Chris and Carrie Haze
Twitter - @Return2Roswell
Instagram - return2roswell

Show Location - International UFO Museum And Research Center - Evening/Night Show!
International UFO Museum And Research Center

Hot Wheels Racing - Chris and Carrie Haze
Judging - participant judged
Trophies - Top Awards for New Beetles/Beetles - participant judged
Banquet - Sunday Lunch-ish Banquet

Planning Schedule

Friday June 23rd
Time/Event/Location
4:00pm - Meet and Greet at the International UFO Museum And Research Center, 114 North Main Street
7:00pm / Suggested Dinner / Chef Toddzilla's Burgers / 107 Twin Diamond (behind Tia Juana's)

Saturday June 24th
Time/Event/Location

9:00am / Parking Lot Olympics / Tenative - Sears Parking Lot - 1000 S Main ST, Roswell, NM 88203 (South of the UFO Museum on Main Street)
Run your beetle and yourself through some inventive challenges and compete for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards.

10:30 (whenever Parking Lot Olympics are over)
Afternoon - See List of possible activities below -
Excursion - To Be Determined
OR
Stay in Roswell and cruise to all the different photo sites with your bug (mural walls, UFO cut outs along the road, etc)
AND/OR
Time to clean your car

6:00pm-7:00pm / Car Show Setup / UFO Museum
Car Show - Set up your car - Sign in or Register
participant judging to start at 7pm.

8:00pm / Hot Wheel Races / UFO Museum
Bring your fastest Hot Wheels car (or pick one up at Walmart)
Trophies will be handed out for the top 3 cars!

9:30pm / Judging Ends / UFO Museum
Please turn in your ballots to the ballot box by 9:30pm

9:30pm / Start glowing up Bugs / TBD
Start decorating your bug for the Glow Cruise

10:30pm / Glow Cruise the Strip / Show location to Host Hotel
At 10:30pm we will depart from the Show location and drive the strip to the Host Hotel.
Be sure to pack your bug before we leave the parking lot.

Raffle/Door Prize request - please bring one VW, bug type item, alien or regional item to share with others to the show...so we can tag it and have it ready for raffling at the Banquet - or we will let you know who’s room you can bring your item to after the show/throughout the weekend.
This has always been a fun sharing activity for the weekend.

Sunday June 25th
Time/Event/Location
11:00-1:00 / Lunch Banquet - Awards Ceremony / High Chaparral Restaurant - 5500 N Main St, Roswell, NM

Raffle/Door prizes picked up before seating (you will get a ticket when you drop your item off)
Good socializing with other new beetle folks!
Award Presentations! (awards are presented at the banquet, not the car show)

Afternoon - See List of possible activities below -

7:00pm / Roswell Invaders - Baseball Game / Joe Bauman Park - 2500 SE Main / $6 per ticket
Pecos League Schedule

Monday June 26th
Breakfast and travel home

List of Possible Activities that have been or are being discussed/planned for afternoon/evenings
Cruise to White Sands - White Sands National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Cruise to the Observatory - National Solar Observatory - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide
Cruise to Bottomless Lake State Park - EMNRD State Parks Division
Drive-In Movie - https://www.facebook.com/fiestadrivein
Roswell Zoo and Park
Other things to see and do in Roswell

Currently we have 42 cars Registered containing 75 people.
States represented so far…
Arizona (1)
Arkansas (1)
California (5)
Colorado (6)
Florida (1)
Illinois (1)
Indiana (2)
Maryland (1)
New Mexico (8)
Ohio (1)
Nevada (1)
Texas (11)
Wisconsin (1)
Ontario Canada (1)

Years represented…
1998 (2.0, supercharged 2.0)
1999 (2.0)
2000 (supercharged 2.0)
2002 (TDI, 1.8T, 2.0)
2003 (TDI, 1.8T)
2004 (1.8T, 2.0, TDI)
2005 (2.0)
2006 (2.5)
2007 (2.5)
2008 (2.5)
2009 (2.5)
2010 (2.5)
2012 (2.0 turbo,2.5)
2013 (2.0 turbo, Fender Edition)
2014 (2.0T R-Line)
2015 (Turbo)
2016 (1.8TSI)
2017 (1.8 Turbo(Fuchsia))

Registered - 42 beetles!
1 Antoine D - Marvins_dad
2 Tiffini H - Snafu
3 Casey C - Fiona
4 Michael L - Knewbug
5 Ana H - Baby Sallie
6 Sue I - CiaoBug!
7 Aaron G - Halcyon(HalBug)
8 Audra J - Viola!
9 Linda J - Fender
10 Ray & Connie T - Pisant
11 Laura P - Cub Bug -Cubs Win! Cubs Win!!!
12 Katie G - Lolly
13 Kimberly C. - Bud
14 Teresa H. - The TARDIS!
15. J.Wayne B. - BumbleBee
16. Shawn H. - Emmett Kelly Green
17. Kathy M. - Dean
18. Brian W. - Yort
19. Jason H. - Pearl
20. Shawn G. - Mojo
21. Belinda B. - Daisy
22. Raymond D. - Jolly Rodger
23. Luke H. - Red
24. Adam C. - Jodi
25. Howie L - ??Sweety or Flint??
26. Chris H. - Magu
27. Carrie H. - Bee Dub
28. Rebecca du M. - Mi La Vida Roja
29. Thomas F. - Bilbo
30. Kevin K. - Rojo Diablo
31. Steve O. - None (;) no name)
32. Tom & Lisa A. - Herbie
33. Patricia B. - Miss Ruby Red
34. John M. - Klaus
35. Rhonda M! - Libby
36. Lisa G. - Daisy Bug
37. Sean P. - Beetle
38. Karla P. - Lemonette
39. Mack P. - Mighty Mouse
40. Tonia B. - Fynn
41. Adam C. - Bubbles
42. Bill and Shirley J. - Skittles

Attachments

·
My lil fallen Angel <3
1,099 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Host Hotel - Comfort Suites
"New Beetle Convention" - Edie Stevens is our contact at the hotel.
$79.00 - 1 King Bed, No Smoking,Suite
$85.00 2 Queen Beds, No Smoking, Suite
https://www.choicehotels.com/new-mexico/roswell/comfort-suites-hotels/nm157
Phone: (575) 623-5501
Note: the cut-off date for holding the rooms will be Friday, June 2nd
Host Hotel information added...

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Make that 4 :lol: May change from stock to something else between now and then but time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make that 4 :lol: May change from stock to something else between now and then but time will tell.
That Ford better turn into something else! :p

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Well it'll never turn into a VW I can tell ya that. Unless things in the neck of the woods change the closest thing to a VW I'll have is a Porsche.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just registered and sent a donation.

Wife and I will be attending.

Planning our summer vacation around the event.

Will be camping out of the 2010 Beetle so I can fish some and enjoy NW mountains and also do some hotel hopping for the event to freshen up.

Will be travelling lite for us since all the space in a Vert Beetle is not like an SUV. :D

I guess it will be like Backpacking in a Beetle.

LOL

TJ

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just sent out the following email to the Return to Roswell email list - if you aren't getting these emails and want to get them...message me your email address...and REGISTER! LOL ;)
Barbie Beetles! Don't forget to grab and old used Barbie Beetle from a thrift store or ebay...they might even have the new version in stores. But there will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for the most popular themed Barbie Beetle.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/286031688242279/permalink/757486054430171/
Important Dates!
June 1st - cut off date to order shirts! - http://newbeetle.org/…/139153-roswell-2017-t-shirt-ordering…
June 2nd - Cut off date to get Host Hotel discount!!!
2017 - 70th Anniversary of the Roswell Incident!!!
Please Register!!! - https://form.jotform.com/62374276376161
I have ordered from China (so, hoping we get them) - a slew...meaning more than 40 of those Beetle Shaped glasses cases for all that register! Just crossing my fingers that they arrive before the show. But I ordered them to boost registration so we would know how many folks to expect....and allow me to get the paperwork printed out before coming to Roswell.
Banquet - Sunday Lunch! J. Wayne has found us a new location for the banquet - we'll have sectioned off parking lot and be able to order off the menu and pay individually - High Chaparral Restaurant - 5500 N Main St, Roswell, NM - I am told they have amazing food and the reviews online echo that.
Friday night - Chef Toddzilla burgers reached out to us to see about doing the banquet - they have a new building instead of a food truck, I mentioned I would point them out for a possible "After Meet and Greet - Eat"...they are located behind Tia Juana's between the Comfort and Hampton's Inns. They have limited parking, but looks like there is a dirt lot next door for those Beetles that are not lowered.
Be active!!! I am loving the posts on Facebook on "The Collective - Newbeetle.org Group" and the "Return to Roswell Group"! Keep them up - let others know about Roswell...the more we can get excited about the show the more likely we can get more folks to make the trip...Roswell is all about the Cars, but the People make the show and the weekend so special!!! I know there are some that don't do Facebook...there's still NewBeetle.org! (If you still find yourself unable to get log in...let me know [email protected]).
Raffles swap/etc - don't forget to get something for the raffle exchange swap thingy we always do at the banquet...I have ordered a killer New Beetle item I hadn't seen before...I wonder who will get it?!?
Looking forward to this show! Hope everyone else is getting excited! If you have any questions don't hesitate to post on any of the number of public forums or email me directly.
Antoine

·
V Dubbn!
5 Posts
Damn, I'd love to attend this show! I am a new (2016) Beetle owner, life-long VW aficionado, and obsessed with UFOs, Ancient Aliens, etc. and visiting Roswell would be an incredible adventure. But New Mexico is such a long drive from the east coast! I purchased an event t-shirt because the artwork is outstanding, and I will wear it with pride. I'll send positive vibes on June 23rd, and be there in spirit. You guys have fun, and watch the sky! :)

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Looking over the itinerary; there doesn't seem to be listed, any sort of "swap meet" associated with the event. Is there going to be a time; where such a thing would be appropriate or are people encouraged to just do this among them selves?

I have considered going to this event in the past couple of times but the day i would normally go to; (in the past) being the Saturday car show, is now at night and is geared towards a type of person who will stay all weekend or at the least overnight (as opposed to a one day trip). In the early days of this show; i went many times in it's heyday (maybe 5x)? Was this change done; because of the probable hot New Mexico weather or some other issue, making it a night specific car show? Any info and thoughts about the show schedule appreciated. Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
billymade - sorry I haven't answered your question until now.

3 Roswells ago we changed it to a night show to get the show out of the heat of the day. That has been the #1 complaint every year I have attended or helped run the Roswell show.
I never thought about people just coming for the day of the show then leaving since 99% of the folks that I have interacted with make a weekend of it and are traveling from over 100 miles away.

Swap Meet - as the cars are getting older this might be something worth doing. I know in 2009 we had a few people set up some tables and sell/swap parts...in 2011 I know one person brought a bunch of parts to share or sell - so it has been a part of a couple of the past Return to Roswell shows in a limited amount. I know I have collected some parts that I wouldn't mind passing on.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
I realize i am not a typical Roswell event member; in the early days i came for the show and drove back home the same day, mid afternoon.

A swap meet would make sense; back in the day, there were actually vendors that came to sell things and even had show cars, to display the custom/performance parts they sold (remember the supercharged "purple haze)"?
Thanks for the response; i know, i was always someone who hung around the show for a bit and left. A night show; turns it into a overnighter.
As for the swap meet; that was one of the favorite things about the air-cooled bug-in's; i used go to, when i lived in California. I certainly have some things I could get rid of; I keep buying parts that don't fit my particular year of new beetle and then I'm stuck with it. I tend to be the kind of person that is good at acquiring things and not getting rid of it. I appreciate your replies and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I realize i am not a typical Roswell event member; in the early days i came for the show and drove back home the same day, mid afternoon.

A swap meet would make sense; back in the day, there were actually vendors that came to sell things and even had show cars, to display the custom/performance parts they sold (remember the supercharged "purple haze)"?
Thanks for the response; i know, i was always someone who hung around the show for a bit and left. A night show; turns it into a overnighter.
As for the swap meet; that was one of the favorite things about the air-cooled bug-in's; i used go to, when i lived in California. I certainly have some things I could get rid of; I keep buying parts that don't fit my particular year of new beetle and then I'm stuck with it. I tend to be the kind of person that is good at acquiring things and not getting rid of it. I appreciate your replies and thanks.

We have a fellow Las Crucesian that is making the trip!

I have some odds and ends and maybe we can put the word out for the 2019 show to actually plan for something like this. Maybe being the 20th anniversary of the show we can get a large number of folks and this could be very desirable. Especially since aftermarket items are hard to come by and even stock items are starting to fall apart and need to be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just signed up for the event.
There's the fellow Las Crucesian I was just talking about!
Can't wait to see your new baby!

SYIR!!! (See You In Roswell)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.