·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Front brakes:

FS III Brake Caliper

^ Thickness 22 mm (0.866 inch) ^ Wear limit: 19 mm (0.748 inch

FN 3 Brake Caliper

Brake disc
^ Thickness 25 mm (0.984 inch) ^ Wear limit: 22 mm (0.866 inch)

Rear brakes:

- Brake disc
^ Thickness: 9 mm (0.354 inch) ^ Wear limit: 7 mm (0.275 inch)

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-1.8L Turbo (AWV) (2001) > Brakes and Traction Control > Disc Brake System > Brake Caliper > Component Information > Specifications

If you are close to the limit; I would consider replacing them. I tried to have my out of round rotors; "turned" and they just ended up having pulsation/out of round issues again. With these modern cars; I think, it is best to replaced rather than have them machines/turned.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Braking/Rotors/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the autozone and pepboys rotors it says the discard thickness for the front is 22mm and 7mm for the rears.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would follow the vw factory manual and not parts stores, you may not be looking at the correct rotors for your car (2.0L, 1.8T, etc.; many times have different size rotors). Best way to know for sure; is order parts by vin #. If you still have the stock rotors; they should have a part # on them (if vw factory parts); you could measure them as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying all 4 rotors from Pep Boys ($79 +tax). The old rotors I think needed to be replaced or machined, they had some very small grooves like a wave. On the new rotors it has printed MIN THK 22mm on the fronts and 7mm for the rears. It also says the same for these Bosch rotors
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-53011384-QuietCast-Premium-Brake/dp/B004AG6PHC

If these manufacturers were following VW specs shouldn't it say 19mm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts