NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 2 liter that is idling rough. It all started after the throttle body was cleaned. Now the check engine light is on. Codes ranging from lean cylinders to misfires. After some research I'm in starting to think the MAF is bad and maybe the TB as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated
Dcraft

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Lean codes and misfire codes together usually come from an unmetered air leak
Maybe the throttle body gasket was kinked or torn. Or there may be a vacuum line left off.
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Can you post the actual codes you were getting? That would help us give you better advice.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Lean codes and misfire codes together usually come from an unmetered air leak
Maybe the throttle body gasket was kinked or torn. Or there may be a vacuum line left off.
Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I would lean towards this as well. Something during the work likely causes this.

Bme

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
throttlebody cleaning

Mine did the same after cleaning the throttlebody and maf sensor. I just Reset the ECM and run the car for a few days and it smooth out, give it a few starts...ie-2-3 different times or 3 days if it doesn't smooth out by then you could have other issues. Good luck trooper. LOL :D and welcome to new beetle.org Reset the ECM like this; remove both cables from battery and touch both cables together (away from the battery of course), hold for 30 seconds and than reland back on battery, You good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. Let me run it again and pull the exact codes. Also, it idles smoother with the MAF disconnected.
Thanks again

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If it idles better with the MAF disconnected then I bet it's a vacuum leak somewhere. As someone already mentioned there is some unmetered air entering the system. Check carefully for any vacuum leaks or leaks in the SAI pump to Purge valve.
Clean your MAF as Esse10 suggested. A lot of people assume that it's their MAF and replace that part and often find it was something totally different.

Do post the codes when you get the chance.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts