NewBeetle.org Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
It has an exhaust leek at or near the manifold. Your smelling egr fumes. This in turn has caused valve problems at the cylinder were the exhaust manifold leaks. So if the exhaust leaks at the exit port for the 3rd cylinder then that's which valves on ityou need to replace. are you going to do a valve job on any of the cylinders you may as well do all the cylinder valves. if you start seeing a code that says a certain cylinder is missing that's what's going on. I believe this happens a lot because not only does the new beetle have very bad front suspension on the 2.0 that bad suspension causes a lot of pounding underneath the car which returns can affect the way things are bolted together like the

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It has an exhaust leek at or near the manifold. Your smelling egr fumes. This in turn has caused valve problems at the cylinder were the exhaust manifold leaks. So if the exhaust leaks at the exit port for the 3rd cylinder then that's which valves on ityou need to replace. are you going to do a valve job on any of the cylinders you may as well do all the cylinder valves. if you start seeing a code that says a certain cylinder is missing that's what's going on. I believe this happens a lot because not only does the new beetle have very bad front suspension on the 2.0 that bad suspension causes a lot of pounding underneath the car which returns can affect the way things are bolted together like the
Thank you for leading me in that direction! I’m still at it over here with several issues!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Please tell me your issues??
Primarily the issue (all details in my first post in this thread) with what I am perceiving as a "rough idle", which is not a rough idle, rather something else. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it, as well, I'm still randomly getting PO442, despite everything I have done to find leaks, replaced hoses, plugs, wires, mounts, etc...

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
I replaced the seal on my gas cap; it had small cracks in it and the replacement from RXTech was a affordable solution. My fuel pressure seemed to pump up faster and my car started quicker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok ok I give you my secret fix. If you're standing in front of the car looking at the engine, on the right side intake manifold near the firewall, there's a small in diameter, but long in length vacuum hose. It goes up to pcv valve just before the air goes into the throttle body.
original.jpg

Disconnect that hose at the end of the arrow that you see in the picture above. Then plug the end of that hose you put it somewhere where it won't melt or fall into the radiator fans or get caught up in your timing chain or something ( that's a joke) just put it somewhere safe after you plug the end of it with whatever you can find laying around. Do this while the car is running. if you hear the RPMs pick up just a little bit, close the hood and give it a test drive tell me what you think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Ok ok I give you my secret fix. If you're standing in front of the car looking at the engine, on the right side intake manifold near the firewall, there's a small in diameter, but long in length vacuum hose. It goes up to pcv valve just before the air goes into the throttle body. View attachment 249680

Disconnect that hose at the end of the arrow that you see in the picture above. Then plug the end of that hose you put it somewhere where it won't melt or fall into the radiator fans or get caught up in your timing chain or something ( that's a joke) just put it somewhere safe after you plug the end of it with whatever you can find laying around. Do this while the car is running. if you hear the RPMs pick up just a little bit, close the hood and give it a test drive tell me what you think.
I’m just a little confused. Are you talking about the small diameter hose right under the PCV hose? I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
Yes, I actually bought a new one early on in this mess. Good seal, no cracks.
Good, the code definition, mentions a gas cap as a source for a small leak but it could be other possible things in the evap system (purge valve, impact damage to hoses, cracked, damaged parts or something maybe disconnect, left undone during the engine swap,? etc).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Good, the code definition, mentions a gas cap as a source for a small leak but it could be other possible things in the evap system (purge valve, impact damage to hoses, cracked, damaged parts or something maybe disconnect, left undone during the engine swap,? etc).
I'm about to order that PCV hose you found for me, as well as the hose from secondary air intake to vent (the "hose in a hose") from someone elses doing LOL. :) Also, I think I now understand what pdxbeetle was talking about in his post in regards to the small diameter hose that runs right up under the PCV hose. I think he meant for me to disconnect it, rather than the 3 port PCV hose (which is short, and larger in diameter.) That area surrounding that part of the PCV hose stays greasy, even after I have just cleaned it off. Looks like something is leaking perhaps. P.S.I swapped the purge valve out a couple of months ago, so that's off of the list :rolleyes:. Too bad my list keeps growing instead of getting smaller!

·
Registered
11,914 Posts
Yeah, any damaged pcv or vacuum hoses should be replaced; they could potentially, affect the idle.

Looking over the four pages in this thread; when you replaced the "engine mounts" on your car, did you replace all three or just the right (engine) and left (trans) mounts? The third torque mount on the transmission (aka: "dogbone" mount); can have allot of play and cause allot of movement, when worn out.

The mount in the middle; is the dog-bone trans mount.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yeah, any damaged pcv or vacuum hoses should be replaced; they could potentially, affect the idle.

Looking over the four pages in this thread; when you replaced the "engine mounts" on your car, did you replace all three or just the right (engine) and left (trans) mounts? The third torque mount on he transmission (aka: "dogbone" mount); can have allot of play and cause allot of movement, when worn out.

The mount in the middle; is the dog-bone trans mount.
All 3! Almost didn't do the dog-bone, and glad I did!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Removing and plugging that hose isn't the proper way so I wouldn't buy a new hose. It's kinda like the egr system, buy unplugging the hose your basically just allowing your car to beath a bit better.. but I would like to watch a video that maybe the answer I haven't tried it on mine yet but it might work for you and it's has it's all the signs and symptom's. Watch this link...
I’m just a little confused. Are you talking about the small diameter hose right under the PCV hose? I appreciate the help! View attachment 249681
Yes the small diameter hose just under the big one. Good job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Removing and plugging that hose isn't the proper way so I wouldn't buy a new hose. It's kinda like the egr system, buy unplugging the hose your basically just allowing your car to beath a bit better.. but I would like to watch a video that maybe the answer I haven't tried it on mine yet but it might work for you and it's has it's all the signs and symptom's. Watch this link...

Yes the small diameter hose just under the big one. Good job.
I'll try unplugging the hose under PCV over the weekend. You said to pull it off and plug it up while the car is running, and then leave it disconnected (somewhere safe) for a test drive, correct? I watched the video, but my car isn't having any of those symptoms, but it wouldn't surprise me if they are about to spring up on me! :ROFLMAO: This car was mistreated the 3 years before I got it. Very obvious. I'm just trying to make it reliable enough for getting around in about a 4-5 mile radius.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Note. The mk4 engine doesn't have coil packs but it does have a coil.. but my point is is that maybe the shaking that you were talking of has something to do with the coil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should warn you that car that you have has so many inherent things to go wrong on it I can be somewhat of a never-ending project. I like the beetle cuz it's kind of fun but it sure is a lot of work. I've dealt with suspension and engine problems and ignition over and over and over. I've dumped a ton of money in this thing. Some people tell me to sell it because it's fashionable, you know clean it up make it look pretty sell it. And then look on the internet for most reliable vehicles, and you can find some that have almost indestructible engines that just keep running to a million miles. Sometimes it gets to the point where you have to ask yourself is this really how I want to live... a large part of my life fixing a vehicle. And if you're like me, you'll say yes. Hehe

61 - 79 of 79 Posts