VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2000 beetle 1.8t automatic.
With an over heating problem.
I replaced the water pump. Replaced thermostat and gasket. Along with the coolant reservoir tank due to threads missing on the tank. Upon doing this I noticed the timing belt didn't look good. So I replaced it along with the belt tensioner. Both the crank and cam alignments are dead on the marks. ( Trust me 3 attempts to get it.) Started the car and got multiple miss fires in all cylinders along with cam sensor code. Replaced the sensor along with the crank sensor. Still same results. Car not idling well and crazy idling surges.
Same codes every time miss fires and cam sensor. Pulled coils and check plugs. Needed new coils and plugs along with coil connectors, replaced with new. Started the car and it ran great for about 3 miles. Then the car just died. Had to pull it home. Now I've got a loud knock in cylinder three, but only when the plug is in place. Pull the plug no noise. And to top it off the car is running like before. Rough idle, no power, and loud knock.(think it's a lifter not sure). And of course still getting a can sensor code. Check wires to cam tested at 5 volts on pins 1&3 with ignition on. And yes I did an oil change with filter and new air filter. I'm wondering if the computer could be an issue at this point. I need help I'm at a loss with what to do to get the code gone and the car running right. Please help

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Hey, first please post all codes you are getting; after a fresh scan, give us the codes, not just the descriptions. Cam trouble codes; can sometimes, be the timing marks are off a tooth or two on the timing belt. You might want to recheck and also, confirm with the marks on the "window" of the bell housing of the transmission and marks on the torque converter.

You have replaced alot of parts and done substantial work. Because the car is a turbo; vacuum/boost leaks are things, that can really kill the power, be sure to carefully inspect for disconnected or split, broken hoses.

What brands and part numbers; were the plugs and coils? Aftermarket poor quality parts; can give you all kinds of problems. Plugs should be oem NGK and coils, oem Volkswagen.

Lots of possibilities; vacuum leaks, fuel pressure, compression, etc.

Do a fresh scan; post up those codes and we can go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts