NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a couple of weeks, my 2001 1.8T Beetle has had a terribly rough idle with inconsistent brakes, and occasional stalling at lights. It bucks at stop lights, too.

I took it to a near-by repair shop that had cured these symptoms before; causes then were broken vent hose and some electrical shorts.

They run a computer scan and test the throttle body and the MAF. Both are OK. Hoses and wiring look fine. (I live where there are packrats that routinely chew up random wires and hoses. Big problem.)They suggest going to the dealer, a place which I hate due to their wanting to do an $1850 repair job when the car needed only a new battery!

After a bad stall-out at a stop light where the car could be restarted only after five agonizing minutes, I charge the battery, which was at 7% power. Car then runs fine. Given that low power number, I replace the battery. Car runs perfectly for one day. Then the problem returns. The new battery shows 85% power.

My scans of the computer show cylinder misfires, mixture too lean, and an O2 sensor warning.

A few days ago, I reset the ecu. Car runs well again. I've got 20-25 miles on it since this reset.

There is good gas in the car, Chevron, though not a full tank.

Why does the rough idling return after a time? As the throttle body and the MAF are key suspects and they checked out OK, what is causing this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had about the same thing going on, here's what i did and it seems to worked.
I think it was a TB misaligument problem.

Disconnect the battery for about 10mins.
Short out the + and - cables on car, not battery. Reconnect the battery after 10mins.
Switch the key to on but do not start.
After about 3mins start the car.

This is supposed to reset the TB.

Fixed mine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer did extensive testing on the car. It took a long time. The problem they found is vac leaks in the crankcase vent hose.

The weather seems to greatly affect the driveability of the car. On cool, damp days. it runs fine. But during the summer in the desert, it's hard to find weather like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts