NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my AC condenser replaced the other day, AC is beautiful no complaints there, BUT since then my car starts but is undrivable for a few minutes until the engine warms a little. i.e. it will stall out if I try to rev it or put into gear.

I have never had one hiccup from the engine ever, even before I replaced the MAF a couple of months ago it was starting and running fine (I got a light when I went over 60 but ran great).

I did a code read even though there wasn't a light on and had a standby on P0171 so I cleared that and it hasn't come back so I don't think that is the problem, I inspected all air pipes and cannot see any leaks or even anywhere suspect.

I will be taking it to the place who did my AC on Tuesday but do you guys have any idea what could have happened?

Oh, the battery was off (I know this due to clock reset and stereo in demo mode) so do you think it could be the throttle body even though the car runs perfect when warm?

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
It could be a number of things; since, the a/c compressor was removed and put back together... there is always a possibility something wasn't put back correctly or broken by accident. Here is a list of possible problems/solutions:

16555/P0171/000369 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean

16555/P0171/000369 - Ross-Tech Wiki

I would look for leaks or disconnected hoses or electrical connectors not connected to components. When I have had a temp sensor fail; it would idle rough, hesitate, stumble, until it warmed up and the problem would go away. That may not be the problem at all but just a thought.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Could the a/c system be slightly over charged?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If the battery was disconnected for a while it may have lost its throttle body adaption which would make it idle very slowly until warm and the cruise control won't work. You can reset it by turning the ignition to "run" without starting the engine. Leave it there for 30 seconds and then switch off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update for if anyone else has this problem.

It turns out the MAF I purchased only had a six week lifespan. I have obviously requested a replacement. Having 2 identical cars helps in these cases, I borrowed the MAF from my wifes car and it started perfectly from cold this morning.

Just because no light comes on doesn't mean everything is working correctly. :(

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
too lean

fuel too lean, The last time I had that issue was after I cleaned the throttle body valve and cleaned the maf sensor. later i found out I needed to recalibrate the throttle body like red99 specify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts