NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 VW Beetle 1.8 T and have recently had issues with it, specifically, on the RPMs. I turn on my Bug and after a while the RPMs start sort of going up and down a bit (engine seems to want to shut off) kinda like if you were to be slightly reving on and off your engine with the gas pedal, except mine does it without pressing the pedal while it is on idle. When I start driving it, it won't give me problems until the car is at a stop, ideling. Has anyone had this issue as well? If so What can be done to fix it? I have already changed the coils (they went bad on me but replaced all four) and spark plugs as well. Any suggestion is welcome. I have also added the link to my beetle problem on youtube.Thx for reading.

VW Beetle RPM problems.3gp

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your car has an electronic throttle, so something is tricking into thinking it needs to adjust slightly at idle.
I had similar symptoms, and it ended up being the Throttle Body.
It was sticky with years of gas varnish, and was "stickiest" right around idle (barely open throttle). Ran fine once the plate moved past initial opening.
Relatively easy to take off the hose on the Intake, and spray the throttle plate/linkage with cleaner.
And remember , after the cleaning it's advised you use the VAG to do a fresh Throttle Body Adaptation to start clean.

Beyond that, it could also be vacuum leaks, so while your cleaning the throttle inspect all the hoses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding!!!! I thought my voice wouldn't be heard. Im A Bit of a noob and was reading on this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/12670-important-vacuum-line-information.html

and found some useful info. but being a noob, where can i buy the throttle cleaner? whats the name of the cleaner? Do I just spray it on the throttle itself and let it wash away? Again I am a bit of a noob but a very quick learner. I want to take care of the hoses and stuff that i read on the thread I was talking about, yet I still need to ask in the thread some questions reguarding purchase places and other things. I LOVE my NB T and want to make it last for lots of years. As a college student and Geeksquad employee I have driven my NB everywhere (at least it feels like it); South Padre Island (3X) San Antonio, Mcallen, Heck even Mexico (Glad I made it). THX once again!!!!! Thank god I found this forum!!!! There is hope!!! I thought I was doomed!!! LOL :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dis you see the video I uploaded to YouTube??? In the video it shows the issue with the RPMs. On one note I forgot to say was that I had a specter CAI and after months of use I decided to clean the filter (I think this was a bad idea and maybe even the culprit of my problems) with K&N air filter cleaner (NOOB at its fullest) before I went to SPI,TX and like almost a week after I came back from there, the issues started happening. Maybe the throttle body breathed the oils?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts