NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Red Devl strikes again...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the forums so please be patient with me.

I have some moderate scuff marks on the paint of my my 99 Beetle and I've used rubbing compound before to cure such things on other cars. My question is: If I'm going to use a clay bar before a polish and wax, is it necessary to use the rubbing compound in the equation as follows:

Rubbing compound --> Wash --> Clay Bar --> Polish --> Wax

I've never used a clay bar and I don't know if it will take out the scuffs and other black marks in the paint or if I should "pre-treat" with a small application of rubbing compound first.

Any suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
the clay bar takes off contaminates from the top layer of paint that may be embedded in the paint (run your fingers on the paint and if it's not smooth and feels a little gritty then you need to clay it) for scratch's compound will work turtle wax makes two compounds one in the red can for fine sratches and one in the green can for deeper ones you will need a buffing machine unless you want Popeye sized forearms , and another good product is meguiar's scratch x it works and is easier to work with by hand also color x is good as well check out meguiars online they have a detailers forum which is very helpful, i have fine scratches on my bug on the fenders from the car wash and use scratch x and it works well just remember to seal it with wax after so it will last.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Remember that rubbing compound removes the most paint, and Polishing compound removes the least. You always want to remove the LEAST amount of paint to get the job done. I always start with polishing compound. If there are still scratch marks, I go with the rubbing compound. I then use a cleaner wax and finish up with a good carnuba. Ain't detauling fun? :D

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember that rubbing compound removes the most paint, and Polishing compound removes the least. You always want to remove the LEAST amount of paint to get the job done. I always start with polishing compound. If there are still scratch marks, I go with the rubbing compound. I then use a cleaner wax and finish up with a good carnuba. Ain't detauling fun? :D
Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it will help when I go to detail Diablo this weekend. I'll eliminate the use of rubbing compound and use JP's suggestion of the stronger stuff (green can) if I need to go that route.

Wish me luck!:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
i my self never had done clay bar and it was pretty easy and the results were very good, the clay is not going to take off scratches thats what i noticed. here some pics of the clay before and after. i used the meguiars clay kit got it like for $19 . hope this help good luck.

Attachments

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i my self never had done clay bar and it was pretty easy and the results were very good, the clay is not going to take off scratches thats what i noticed. here some pics of the clay before and after. i used the meguiars clay kit got it like for $19 . hope this help good luck.
That second photo speaks volumes. No doubt about it - I'm using a clay bar this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts