NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(There is a rubbing sound in my "new" 98 Beetle Automatic 2.0 steering column. It happens turning either direction. I sure would appreciate any suggestions as to what it might be and how to correct it. Thank You!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did you try turning the wheel while stopped to see where it might be comming from? Could the the plastic Steering wheel housing over the steering column? Hard to say without looking at it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubbing Noise

IndyTom...all I can determine is that is seems to be inside the column and the noise is there turning in either direction. I have no idea how to take the column apart to visually inspect parts.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hmm, if it comes from the inside I don't know what it could be. Perhaps there is a steering wheel gear of some sort. Not sure if it can be lubed. Never have taken the steering wheel column apart so I don't know where to start. Hopefully someone else may chime in and give you some more usefull pointers.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Sometimes dirt and dust (I have even seen lint) get stuck in there and cause a grinding. Could also be the airbag connector. Remove the clamshell pieces and take a look. The MK3 cars were really bad and the horn contact would do that and it just needed a little grease.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I just realized it does not make that noise when sitting still and turning the wheel. Only during actual driving it.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Actually I just realized it does not make that noise when sitting still and turning the wheel. Only during actual driving it.

Maybe you have a bent backing plate on one of your brake rotors. Seen thy cause a noise when turning while driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have a "shade tree" mechanic who is pretty darn good but he has little experience with VW's. I may just bite the bullet and pay a regular mechanic shop to assess it for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts