VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2000 NB that has started having a problem with a rubbing type sound from the left front. It's there all the time, it seems to quiet down when a corner is turned.

I am not really sure what a wheel bearing would sound like, I took the wheel off and the brake pads, rotors and cv joints all look good as far as I can tell, and nothing seem's loose either. I was hoping it was just something rubbing, but I did not see any evidence of that.

So I guess my question is, can anyone kinda describe what a wheel bearing going out would sound like?

Also, is this something I coud do in my garage or should I pay somebody to do it? I have tools, and know how to use them, and have tackled most things under the hood, and electrical without too much of a problem. With that said, I have never messed with wheel bearings. Like would I need a press or pullers of some sort? Would I just be replacing the bearings and using the old races? Plus, are there two or one wheel bearings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Quite a few diy's out there; if you don't have the puller/tools to press in/out the bearings. You could remove the steering knuckle and have a shop replace it/press in new bearings or just replace the knuckle with a new one with the bearings already installed. This costs quite a bit more; than, just the bearings but would eliminate the need to have the extra tools or ship out the install of the bearings.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...TF-8#q=vw mk4 front wheel bearing replacement

Already rebuilt knuckle; ready to install: (watch the video for r/r process):

New Loaded Left Front Steering Knuckle | 2.0 & 1.9 TDI | VW MK4 | AARodriguez

This would also; be a good time to replace or check: tie rod end, ball joint, lower control arm bushings (typically destroyed) and your struts, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I would guess after a knuckle replacement you would also need an alingment?

So it looks like I will most likely end up paying someone to do it. Do you guys think Les Schwab could do something like that, or should I play it safe and go to a dealer or a shop that specilizes (MS?) in VW's?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
IF fasteners/locations were marked for its original location (lower control arm/ball joint); then, technically you would be ok but traditionally, when things are removed you would get an alignment. I think; this is something you could do yourself and save a ton of dough. I have a feeling; once you get in there, there will probably be more front end parts that need replaced than you think or anticipated. You might take a look at some of the front end "refresh kits" sold by online sites; like ecstuning, fcpeuro and blauparts.

This is pretty basic stuff; I would assume most shops should be able to do this type of work but I would call around to see what a estimate would be. I think; once you hear what they want to charge you, you will think about doing it yourself! :) Especially, since your front end may need redone anyway. As part of your research; you might ask how much they would charge to press in the new bearings, you can save money that way as well or just get the new knuckle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IF fasteners/locations were marked for its original location (lower control arm/ball joint); then, technically you would be ok but traditionally, when things are removed you would get an alignment. I think; this is something you could do yourself and save a ton of dough. I have a feeling; once you get in there, there will probably be more front end parts that need replaced than you think or anticipated. You might take a look at some of the front end "refresh kits" sold by online sites; like ecstuning, fcpeuro and blauparts.

This is pretty basic stuff; I would assume most shops should be able to do this type of work but I would call around to see what a estimate would be. I think; once you hear what they want to charge you, you will think about doing it yourself! :) Especially, since you front end may need redone anyway. As part of your research; you might ask how much they would charge to press in the new bearings, you can save money that way as well or just get the new knuckle.

Thanks, that's good advice I think I will follow it, and start by calling around. I was suprised though at how good everything appeared when I had the tire off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts