NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
i have a 99 new beetle, and it makes a rumbling noise in drive. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all, but it does it 95% of the time. It does it when I idle, and it does it when I hit the gas. But when I idle, if i put it in any other gear, it stops completly.
Help?? thanks!:D:(

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello!
i have a 99 new beetle, and it makes a rumbling noise in drive. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all, but it does it 95% of the time. It does it when I idle, and it does it when I hit the gas. But when I idle, if i put it in any other gear, it stops completly.
Help?? thanks!:D:(
In Drive you say. That means you have the dreaded 01M Automatic transmission which probably never had the transmission fluid changed. These transmissions are known for major Valve Body and transmission harness failures which in the long run leads to complete transmission failure.
You can try and change the fluid and see if that will prolong the inevitable. By now that stuff in there is total Mud. More than likely you will need a rebuilt valve body and transmission harness. Worst case scenario a new transmission which in most cases is between 5000-7000 dollars. Valve body and transmission harness are about $600 bucks plus new fluid and gasket. So you can do that job yourself for about $750 dollars. If you have it done the average cost including labor is about $1700 bucks. My advice DO NOT Buy a VW of any kind that has the 01M 4 speed automatic transmission. It just spells disaster.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Well here's a warm welcome to you and your NB. Hope you can get the rumbles out for as little as possible. Show off your NB - we love photos!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts