NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beetle seems to be running rich. I am just open for suggestions as to what could be causing this. I am not a typical know it all mechanic. I prefer to work and learn as problems occur. I currently get horrible gas mileage as well. I am being told maybe O2 sensor or MAF Sensor. Anyone run into this problem? Any inputs would be greatly appreciative. Thank you!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Do you have a CEL on?

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cel

As a matter of fact the CEL is on. I was going to get that tested to see the codes.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Get those codes and report back. Its easier to point you in the right direction when we have codes :)

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code updates

Well I ran the test and got 6 different codes

1. P0134 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 (no activity)
2. P0139 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 (slow response)
3. P0300 random cylinder misfire
4. P0301 cylinder 1 misfire
5. P0302 cylinder 2 misfire
6. P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Looks like its pointing to both O2 sensors and misfires. I'd try to take care of the misfires first. Could be spark plugs, wires, or the ignition coil.

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any suggestions as to where to pickup ignition coil, plugs, wires for a reasonable price? Autozone is looking like $200+ on prices. Any online sites? What about performance or standard towards these items? Any help is greatly appreciative.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
GermanAutoParts.com is where I'd go for this stuff. They sell OEM part brands for good prices.

ECSTuning.com and 1stvwparts.com are also good parts sources. I'd stick with OEM stuff.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
running rich

MAF sensor and throttle body not adjusted will also cause it to run rich especially after cleaning both of those. IGnition coil will cause all the misfires, common problem in the 2.0 I hear. glad I have a 1.8 LOL :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
BillyJoel, I recently was having the P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0304 codes. So I replaced the coil, spark plugs, and wires and still had the same codes coming back. It ended up being my MAF sensor was dirty. I just went to the parts house and picked some MAF cleaner up and sprayed it real good and have not had the codes come back yet and the car runs smoother now, its been a week today since the cleaning with no problems.

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the MAF Sensor heads up! I will go that route first then get into the tune up portion. The tune up will happen eventually!

·
BillyJoel
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed out my Air Filter and Cleaned out the MAF sensor! I also pulled plugs to see how they were and had to clean them but they will be replaced this weekend during tune-up! Runs a little better I pulled the MAF plug and you can definately tell that the oxygen sensors need replaced! So thats next on the list! Thanks for the info on the MAF sensor because it made a noticeable difference however some problems still exist!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts