NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIVERSIDE CHURCH
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are Riverview church in junction city oregon; and help the poor fix their cars. we have VCDS version 18 and HEX CAM .

PROBLEM..........
will not turn off.... starts great most of time... a few cranks and no run but that happened just twice. ARE the relays in the right holes??? where does SPAR relay go under dash. anyone have pic of 2002 relay panel 1.8 auto

2002 new beetle 1.8 gas auto trans 150 k miles

what i know ...we had trans replaced, it came with car. the car sat 3 years prior to us getting it.

there a ?? starter cable like 4 wire?? that somehow hooks into starting circuit that was left when the new one replaced RIGHT>=? THINKING IT HAS STARTING ISSUED.

fast forward. new trans installed would not start. I started looking at fuses and relays I KNOW I SCREW""ED UP while reaching under dash to remove a RELAY i grabbed a ""SPAR""" and no idea where it went.

we finaly got it running changing relays 173 or 175 was not in. then it would NOT TURN OFF i keep thinking we have a WRONG RELAY installed 173 or 175 instead of SPAR but my bentlay does not show a SPAR RELAY and i have a relay in that doesn't match to book. do i change. last time it SMOKED

. READ DISASTER NEXT
************ DISASTER 1
it would not start, i was switching out relays and looking in BENTLAY manual.. and guy was looking at his car same engine HOWEVER not a NEW BEETLE PUT A 175 RELAY we then got it to RUN BUT NOT SHUT OFF THE DISASTER was he put one relay that the books show should have been installed but wasnt AND THE RELAY PANEL started smoking.

took out relay to stop smoking then tried to start car... it started RIGHT UP but wouldnt shut off.

went back to swapping relays and it finally started working right TURNING ON AND OFF WITH KEY... put it in gear drove it few hundred feet; . hard shifting VCDS codes were G38 AND 68 no communication... wiggling cables got 38 to stop pulling code.. but then it wouldn't start the strange thing is it did it before i ran scan and cleared codes and it ran... today it wont start just cranks.. i cleared codes a few times STILL NO START.

FIXS
to TRY to get it to stop running after key off.....REPLACED 3 IGNITION SWITCHES. VDCS code s switch pulled wire off ignition it still ran check then suddenly run turn off right then day or two later same issues.

orange SPARS lite,( pushed butting to try to turn off dash light, did not work) SPAR TRANGLE, check engine light and lite for trans shifter gear i'm in NEVER TURN OFF. TRIED TO TURN OFF SPARS light is; BY PUSHING button under heater controls several times to turn off. still on even WITH KEY OUT OF IGNITION. thinking it needs SPAR relay installed. but no idea where it goes

thinking maybe daylight running lights was giving it power i DISCONETED head light switch. no change, tried removing alternator plug. no change.

we do not have much experience with VCDS or fixing NEW BEETLES so ALL suggestions will help us learn

TO SUM IT UP car will not turn off, runs ok, will shift gears ok

VCDS CODES
g68 WAS last scan new scan says 0811 system not reasy for interrogation
01314 engine control module; COMPONENT ASR FRONT MK60 ABS BRAKES 013 CHECK DTC MEMORY

SORRY this is first time here. I DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD pics of codes or code file

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
I'm having a hard time, following all the things you have done to the car and where you currently are at in the repair process.

It sounds like there is some confusion; about the relays and if they are installed correctly, in their respective correct positions. Getting all of that confirmed correct; would remove allot of confusion and chaos, in your troubleshooting process. The fact the fuse/relay box was smoking; may have resulted in damaged/melted components, wiring harness damage or shorts in the electrical system. Sorting all that out may take some detective work, attention to detail and worst case scenario, borrowing and visually referring to another car of the same type/installed engine/trans, that is running correctly, to figure everything out.

The fact this was a mechanics "project" of sorts; will require you to double check things, referring to the correct vw service manual and start correcting anything that was done improperly. Unfortunately, many so called "mechanics", try to do repairs, don't know what they are doing and end up rigging things, really screwing things up in the process.

What is the current status of the vehicle and what trouble codes are you getting?

The first step in troubleshooting a Volkswagen; is to always do a "auto scan" with vcds. Once you get that scan report; copy and paste the whole scan, into this thread and that way, we can see what is going on.

Keep in mind, until you get the wiring, electrical sysytem and relay locations worked out (correctly), you can possibly run in circles (getting nowhere), chasing random trouble codes and odd functional issues, related to the basics, of the underlying electrical problems.

·
RIVERSIDE CHURCH
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edited original post

I'm having a hard time, following all the things you have done to the car and where you currently are at in the repair process.

THANK YOU BILLY for responding. i edited post discription to problem added codes i pulled up to help clearify.

tomorrow I'm going to just put in relays as it shows in bentlay and see what happens.

do you know what RELAY LOCATION the SPAR RELAY goes in under dash?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts