NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed. My daughter took over my 2000 Cyber Green last November when she got her license, and while I knew she wasn't the most conscientious person out there by any stretch of the imagination, I had to get a ride from her yesterday to pick up the wife's Nissan from a repair shop. Anyway, as I opened the passenger door, I noticed RUST forming on the rocker where the rubber skid plate is located. :( I'm not blaming my daugher for that, mind you, but I'm just upset that a NB is doing this. It is 13 years old, I suppose, and the running board under the rear fender is rotting, so maybe the rust has spread. I'm envisioning some expensive bodywork. This was a beautiful car just a year ago........

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I sure am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.... Rust is like cancer.
On rocker panels and low parts of the car like that,it starts from the inside and works its way out. What you can see bubbling up under the paint side is only a small fraction of what's going on,on the other side of the panel. :eek: That is one of the major disadvantages of living in a climate where they salt the roads, and use other various chemicals to melt ice. You should move down south, my friend. Down here we see surface rust on 30 year old cars from having the paint baked off by the Sun! Come on down here and stay awhile, we had a cold front blow in yesterday and it's only 99 here today!:)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
What a bummer!! Living in a colder climate is NOT a guarantee for rust, however. I've usually thought of moisture as a bigger factor (like in the deep south!). It's rare to see rust on cars around here and our street plows use MagChloride, salt, and gravel on icy roads. Why don't you get an estimate from a body shop Pat? That way you'll know what you're dealing with.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on getting an estimate in time. It isn't bubbling. It appears to be surface rust, but it's got to be coming from somewhere. I already know that the tubular-shaped "running board" on the passenger side is rotted beneath the rear fender, so that will have to be torched off and replaced, and I have a feeling that won't be cheap. And most modern-day Volkswagens don't rust for 15-20 years, even in cold climates. Well, I've seen a few, but not many. I'm very picky and can't stand even the slightest speck of rust, let alone a panel that's dissolving. I plan to have this car professionaly restored to as-new condition someday, but I'm waiting until my daughter moves on to a different car (or learns how to be a Beetle lover like me).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well that is sad news. I am sure you will get it taken care of. Remember though the quicker the better as rust never sleeps.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that is sad news. I am sure you will get it taken care of. Remember though the quicker the better as rust never sleeps.
Yes, in that respect, rust is like cancer, because it will expand if not arrested. It also needs a new front valance, which costs about $450-600 from VW. I'll check used ones in salavge yards first, even if they have to be painted Cyber Green.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts