NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clear coat on my front bumper is chipping and there is damage from when i hit a snow drift in the blizzard of 2011. So instead of fixing it, ill replace it with hopefully a S bumper. Does the S bumper pretty much just plug and play itself? I know ill have to get different light, grills, ect. Just wonder if anyone else has done this swap.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The turbo S "look" bumper is a direct replacement and uses the same lights.
Thought there was an additional turn signal in the "S" bumper. Don't know for sure, but there certainly is an additional lens (two actually, one on each side).

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya there are two extra lights on the "S" bumper. AH i just had an idea, maybe i could wire those as fog lights and not blinkers or really bright lights or another set of HID's. So many scenarios. lol

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ya there are two extra lights on the "S" bumper. AH i just had an idea, maybe i could wire those as fog lights and not blinkers or really bright lights or another set of HID's. So many scenarios. lol
Oh, I know there are, I was questioning macdave. I just don't know their intended use. I assumed they were a second pair of turns. I assumed they were a second pair, as the corners are required to be visible from the side, so the turns could not be deleted in the corner lights. They could just as easily simply be running lights. As to any other scenario, I don't think so. Too high for fogs and besides as fogs or headlights they would not accomodate bulbs nor be aimable.

M.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
If you find a real TS bumper you will need to get:

1) turns for the bumper unless they are there
A) rewire the turns so they are more in line.
2) Inner bumper is different from what I've been told.
(I guess only applies if you want, nose is slightly longer)
3) Fog lights have a different mounting bracket. Old ones will not work.
4) Headlights if you want the City light function.

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I know there are, I was questioning macdave. I just don't know their intended use. I assumed they were a second pair of turns. I assumed they were a second pair, as the corners are required to be visible from the side, so the turns could not be deleted in the corner lights. They could just as easily simply be running lights. As to any other scenario, I don't think so. Too high for fogs and besides as fogs or headlights they would not accomodate bulbs nor be aimable.

M.
To make them aimable im sure i could fit something else in the like a projector fog light.

If you find a real TS bumper you will need to get:

1) turns for the bumper unless they are there
A) rewire the turns so they are more in line.
2) Inner bumper is different from what I've been told.
(I guess only applies if you want, nose is slightly longer)
3) Fog lights have a different mounting bracket. Old ones will not work.
4) Headlights if you want the City light function.
Thanks for the list ill need that for sure. If i was to get the TS bumper i think i like the look of the mesh grills that fit in them.

Thanks for all the comments guys:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts